This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of help reqiured here!!!

I'm new to this, and that depresses me at times! Now here's my list of issues:

1. My kubuntu pc is not connected to the internet. I'm using Dapper, incidentally. I've managed to get my sound up and running (took a lot of effort and RTFM!), but I cannot play mp3 music, and the VCDs that I play does not give me any sound output (Kaffeine being the player). I can play audio cds, though.

2. I cannot connect this pc to my WinXP home network, even though on ifconfig, the appropriate ip address is being generated.

3. I have downloaded Samba as a tar.gz, but have no idea what to do with this file! For that matter, I have no idea what to do with ANY tar.gz file!

Everything else seems to be working fine, as of now. I really wish to switch over to Kubuntu on this machine, as currently I'm running Win 98 on it as a dual boot and do not wish to upgrade to XP. Vista is out of the question, as it is an old pc: Celeron 800, 256 RAM, 40 GB hdd. Kubuntu looks good, feels good, and seems to serve my purpose, if I can iron out these few teething issues.

Any help will be genuinely appreciated.

Re: Lots of help reqiured here!!!

1. Try to connect to the net somewhere, so you can download the packages you want. For mp3, I mostly use Amarok.
    2. I have no experience at all with networks, so can't answer this one, but isn't this what samba is meant for?
    3. Tar-files are not the most easy things to install. I suggest you install the samba package from adept. Leave the tar-files for what they are at the moment.

Comment

I found this article very helpful in setting up my own network using samba:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605&highlight=dual+boot

Comment

Originally posted by new_to_linux
        2. I cannot connect this pc to my WinXP home network, even though on ifconfig, the appropriate ip address is being generated.
        What do you mean by "connect to" the network? Can you ping from your Kubuntu machine to any of your Windows machines? And back? To share files FROM the Windoze machines, go to smb://your.windows.machine.ip/ in Konqueror. To share files TO the Windoze machines, there's plenty on these forums about how to set up Samba.

3. I have downloaded Samba as a tar.gz, but have no idea what to do with this file! For that matter, I have no idea what to do with ANY tar.gz file!
        You would do well to read the Useful Tips for Newbies (sticky in this forum), specifically wrt "Installing Software in Ubuntu". But I'm nice and will summarise here:
        Software distributed as .tar.gz/.tar.bz2 is in source code format (eg the actual programming code). Generally only advanced users need touch this. For almost all reasonable desires, software is available in the repositories, pre-packaged and ready to be installed in a few clicks through Adept.

Comment

Thank you, James, for being a nice guy, but I think you've missed the point - I cannot connect to any network (cannot set it up), and cannot download anything from the internet as a result. I an able to set up home networking easily using freespire or Knoppix, but I'm not going to be using live cds all my life, and I do wish to have Kubuntu as my preferred OS. Though, if things get out of hand, I just might try a hd install of Knoppix instead!

Comment

No connection to the internet? Are you Windows machines connected to the internet? How are they connected? How did you download the Samba tar file? Is there no way you can connect that machine, even if it's only for a few hours?

Comment

You say "the appropriate IP address is being generated" implying that there is at least some form of connection. Have you tried pinging from one machine to another? Once *that* is working we can sort out the internet connection and file sharing. Please, give more details so we can help you.

Comment

You seem to be getting lots of help from some good people, but I thought I'd add a suggestion. Please take a look at this page at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki and (more important) at the pages referenced for the type of network that you have.

Comment

What I like about linux is the kind of supportive people all around! Thank you so much, all!!!!!

Well, I can ping the router, that's it. Now that I have so much info/suggestions, ti's only fair that I try them all out before I can claim success. I'm going to follow all the advice dispensed so far, over th weekend, and I'll post back here to report.

Once again, thank you all for being such a supportive community!

Comment

Working...
                  X