Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SB Live! soundcard doesn't work - SOLVED!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SB Live! soundcard doesn't work - SOLVED!

I just installed Kubuntu this morning, and it works great . . . except for the sound. I have an SB Live! card, that works fine in both Windows XP and Debian. The suggestions for how to fix it on the Ubuntu wiki didn't help any. The card is recognized just fine, and AmaroK thinks that it can play, but I'm not getting any audio. For the gurus among you, my ALSA data can be found here. Any ideas on what I can do to get it working?

Re: SB Live! soundcard doesn't work

Sometimes the Kmixer takes some odd settings at installation (like with mute on!).

Right click on the little speaker icon on your panel, then play around with the output settings -- make sure your output device is selected correctly -- sometimes just switching from ALSA to OSS and back again seems to wake it up.

HTH

Comment

I tried everything you suggested, and still nothing - except that I noticed that when I raised the slider for "AC97" up all the way, the speakers shrieked in agony. But other than that, they're as silent as monks.

Comment

It's SOLVED! I now have fully functional sound!

A very helpful guy by the name of Markus Thielmann, on answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ examined my alsa information, and noticed that I have a motherboard soundcard as well - the above-mentioned AC97. He suggested disabling it, and that solved my problem. Now my SoundBlaster is doing the job.

Thanks for your ideas, anyway! Linux forever!

Comment

Working...
        X