X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Applications Misbehaving

hi, everyone!! I new to Kubuntu here!!

my internet applications are misbehaving lately. not all of them but a few of them.

first it started with Kopete. it will not connect to MSN (but it does in rare occasions), but yahoo and icq connects fine. then i tried out gaim. everything went well until yesterday when nothing connects at all! i went back to Kopete and nothing there connects too!

another thing is bit torrent. i used azureus first. after some time, it just shuts down by itself. i opened it again and after a few seconds, it shuts down again. then i tried Ktorrent. when i started downloading, the Ktorrent window went white. totally white! i tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the problem still persists.

my firefox, adept and other softwares are fine so far. so, what's the problem?? i hope someone can help

BTW, sorry for the loads of odd problems.

Re: Internet Applications Misbehaving

Do you use a router? if so, the problem may be your resolv.conf.

if your resolv.conf says "192.168.X.X" then imo thats your problem. contact your ISP, and ask them what the DNS servers are. the open your resolv.conf

Code:
    /etc/resolv.conf
    and replace the IP addresses. If it says you ahve insufficient privelages, type this in konsole.

Code:
    sudo chmod 777 /etc/resolv.conf
    then do the edit as i told you above.

However you may have a problem with it re-setting.

If its starts to reset itself after you fix it, your router is re-writing itself as the DNS server. to do this, go into your router and change the default DNS server.

This may not fix your specific problem, but i had this problem, and if its teh same cause, this is what i did to fix it.

hope it works for you

Comment

Originally posted by f1rem0th
      Do you use a router? if so, the problem may be your resolv.conf.

if your resolv.conf says "192.168.X.X" then imo thats your problem. contact your ISP, and ask them what the DNS servers are. the open your resolv.conf

Code:
      /etc/resolv.conf
      and replace the IP addresses. If it says you ahve insufficient privelages, type this in konsole.

Code:
      sudo chmod 777 /etc/resolv.conf
      then do the edit as i told you above.

However you may have a problem with it re-setting.

If its starts to reset itself after you fix it, your router is re-writing itself as the DNS server. to do this, go into your router and change the default DNS server.

This may not fix your specific problem, but i had this problem, and if its teh same cause, this is what i did to fix it.

hope it works for you

what you just said was for the Gaim and Kopete problem right??

i don't know what happened but i tried to delete and reenter my log in and password again and it worked. i don't know why it didn't before. anyway, thanks!!

i still have problems with bit torrent though

Comment

latest "update" about those programs

Gaim works only if i disable and enable my accounts. it won't work automatically. well, at least it works. not much problem actually.

i just uninstalled Azureus and deleted all the files in the .Azureus folder. then, reinstalled it. same thing done to Ktorrent. after reinstalling, they worked! However, when i tried downloading stuff again, the same problem happened.

so, those odd behavior happened because of a program bug?? or....??

Comment

I have no idea what's going on with your Gaim installation, but I'm wondering if your torrent problems are really your torrent problems or your ISP's. Some ISPs (like, for instance, mine) throttle torrents. Can you use torrents in windoze?

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
            I have no idea what's going on with your Gaim installation, but I'm wondering if your torrent problems are really your torrent problems or your ISP's. Some ISPs (like, for instance, mine) throttle torrents. Can you use torrents in windoze?
            yes, i know my ISP does throttle torrents, but i was still able to download at 40KB/s sometimes and other times 0.0KB/s

i believe it is not the problem of throttling as what have it got to do with my bit torrent softwares shutting down by itself??

and to answer your question, yes, it used to work on Microsob Windoze. in fact, it even worked on Kubuntu, but it shuts down by itself after a while.

Comment

ok, i guess it's time to update my problem again

Gaim
              What's not working
              since i've found out that it will connect when i disable and re-enable my accounts, no major problems. there are some minor problems like i can get a sound notification and blah blah, but that's ok for the time being since i waiting for Pidgin to be in the repositories and i'll hop over soon hope everything's ok after that...

Azureus
              What's not working
              Azureus shuts down by itself automatically after my connection disconnects or i restart Kubuntu
              i found this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081341.0
              i got the same problem as he/she did. so i reinstalled my java. after a few hours, same thing happened again. (Kubuntu crashed, so i restarted. after that the problem arises again)
              the only way i can get it working right now is to uninstall Azureus and delete the .Azureus folder in /home/ then reinstall again. (if i don't delete that folder it wouldn't work)

What's working / used to work
              on Windoze, i have no such problem with Azureus. (or Vuze)
              yes, my ISP throttles bit torrent but i'm still able to download at high speeds in rare occasions.
              when it is working in Kubuntu, everything is normal like in windows, green smiley face and everything. but the problem is... as mentioned above

Ktorrent
              What's not working
              it turns into a white window after i start to download something.
              i found out it was Beryl's problem. so i switch the window manager back to KDE. now Ktorrent shows up without the white window but it is unable to connect to the tracker.

when i was just starting to use Ktorrent, it was working fine. only thing is it was a little slow. after that white window problem, it fails to even connect to trackers.

and now i would like to add a new problem... unfortunately

MLDonkey
              What's not working
              it wouldn't connect. (i clicked on the reconnect button on the bottom left corner of the window.) i'm actually new to MLDonkey, so i don know what to do with it. i've searched the FAQ's but can't understand what they are saying. i don't even know if what i've searched for is relevant to my problem. can someone tell me what is the first thing i should do with it?? configuration etc.??

nothing!
              i downloaded Limewire and it worked fine. my TVants (P2P tv streaming) which is installed under wine, works fine also. however, Ares, installed under wine, does not.

that's all i can think about right now. please tell me what info you need to solve this problem and how do i get it. coz, i kinda command illiterate

Comment

ok, this is what i got when i ran Azureus

Code:
                changeLocale: *Default Language* != English (United States). Searching without country..
                changeLocale: Searching for language English in *any* country..
                changeLocale: no message properties for Locale 'English (United States)' (en_US), using 'English (default)'
                X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
                 Major opcode: 147
                 Minor opcode: 3
                 Resource id: 0x0
                Failed to open device
                X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
                 Major opcode: 147
                 Minor opcode: 3
                 Resource id: 0x0
                Failed to open device
                #
                # An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
                #
                # Internal Error (53484152454432554E54494D450E435050020F), pid=16722, tid=3084675984
                #
                # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.6.0-b105 mixed mode, sharing)
                # An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid16722.log
                #
                # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
                #  [url]http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp[/url]
                #
                Aborted (core dumped)

Comment

For what it's worth I have found that every torrent I have used crashes unless I change the settings for default folders, speed, etc.

As for Korrent, I would go the same path as with azureus. Uninstall, delete the ./ktorrent file (if there is one) and reinstall. Bery is not finished yet and doesn't pretend to be.

Onother suggestion is get yourself automatix. I know a few people here dissagree but it has worked for me.
                  http://www.getautomatix.com/

EDIT:
                  You may want to have a look here:
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3083541.15

Attention the stuff about DHT

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                    For what it's worth I have found that every torrent I have used crashes unless I change the settings for default folders, speed, etc.

As for Korrent, I would go the same path as with azureus. Uninstall, delete the ./ktorrent file (if there is one) and reinstall. Bery is not finished yet and doesn't pretend to be.

Onother suggestion is get yourself automatix. I know a few people here dissagree but it has worked for me.
                    http://www.getautomatix.com/

EDIT:
                    You may want to have a look here:
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3083541.15

Attention the stuff about DHT

hey, thanks !! i installed Azureus with Automatix and so far so good. seems to work very fine so far.

out of curiosity, what's the difference between Automaix and Adept? why wouldn't Azureus work when i installed it using Adept? does this mean i should always use Automatix to install my softwares in the future??

err... what is DHT?? i have no idea about what those guys were talking about in that thread. should i do something with my DHT??

by the way, thanks again

Comment

You are welcome
                      Automatix is just a collection of apps that are usefull. Why some work better when installed with automatix I don't know. Adept is your default app manager.
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                      X