This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bossing around GRUB

I'm gonna be playin some games with my hard drive. Right now I have a perfectly working dual boot with WinXP Pro and Kubuntu. I'm gonna wipe out my XP partition and put in Vista for awhile. Toy with that. Then I'm thinkin I'll wipe vista, and put in Severe2003. When I'm bored with that, I'll pick one to keep it on that partition. (And probably set Kubuntu to VM XP Pro.)

But what I need to know is, once I wipe a Windows partition how do I make GRUB find the next new one? Is there a handy GRUB manual?

I'm not going to proceed with this project until I have this detail figured out.

BTW. I got these OS through my school. They are student registered versions. =) CNET is so much fun.
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: Bossing around GRUB

Do a quick site search for "the grub tool kit" or something like that. there is alot of good info there and I think you will find what you need.

A windows reinstall will wipe out the mbr so you will probably have to reinstall grub. If you don't mind reinstalling kubuntu you could install windows and then install kubuntu to make it easy.

Good luck, erie
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by Ant2ne
      Is there a handy GRUB manual?
      # GRUB Manual
      # GRUB "Disk"
      # (Add. Info)

Comment

Thanks for the linkys. Interesting reading. So basically, the Windows install will rewrite my MBR and then Grub wont load.

So I gotta
        1> back up the MBR (using SGD),
        2> then install windows,
        3> then replace the MBR with the backup.
        4> Then edit the Grub menu to reflect the proper OS and boot loader.

That about sum it up? :P

Comment

Well that didn't work at all. Windows did as expected, and rewrote my MBR. But the above Grub Disk didn't work at all. So I ended up using these directions which did work. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

I of course, ended up needing to edit my Grub menu because I actually moved some partitions.

So now I'm running Vista for awhile. I have mixed emotions about it. It is pretty.

Comment

Working...
          X