This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic image rotation incoherence between programs

I've imported pix from a digital camera with orientation info. Browsing in Gwenview rotates them automatically. Gimp does not. So I use Gimp Image->Transform->rotate thru 90 degrees and ... Gwenview shows the picture on its side.

Is there a way of configuring these programs to work similarly? Is there a "standard" or recommeded setting for this?

Thanks in advance.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Automatic image rotation incoherence between programs

So I guess the problem is that Gwenview detects the rotation info (and therefore does autorotation) while Gimp does not. Can't you disable the autorotation in Gwenview?

Comment

Can't you disable the autorotation in Gwenview?
      Of course, you can. Settings>"Configure Gwenview">Misc: Uncheck "Automatically rotate images on load". What's happening, is that The GIMP is not rewriting the meta-information for the file so Gwenview thinks that it is still rotated. You should be able to fix that in the Settings for The GIMP.

Comment

[quote=askrieger ]
        What's happening, is that The GIMP is not rewriting the meta-information for the file so Gwenview thinks that it is still rotated. You should be able to fix that in the Settings for The GIMP.
        I agree with this analysis. But I sure can't find how to change it, either in the Gimp preferences or in the help for the Rotate function. Indeed, the help considers that the rotate function is the same whether called thru right-click->Image->Transform->Rotate or by clicking on the Rotate tool. This is not so, since the former rotates the canvas and the latter rotates the picture within the canvas, causing truncation. See

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...68752#msg68752

Any thoughts on either of these problems. Bug or documentation problem? Or my misunderstanding?
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

The Gimp is too sophisticated for me. As a former ACDSee user, I do my rudimentary image manipulations -- rotations, cropping, and (when I dare) minor color shifts, with Digikam.

Comment

And I can't get into Digikam's way of organizing photos. I want to control that completely, putting them where I want. (I got fed up with Windows' wanting to put every bloody thing under "Documents and Settings", or whatever it's called).

Also I'm maybe not as good a photographer as you. My photos often need color correction (Gimp's levels command is superb!), so I need Gimp.

Chacun à son gout.

Thanks for your suggestion. I did modify Gwenview, so the two programs are consistent now. That's the main thing. So I'm happy.

Comment

Also I'm maybe not as good a photographer as you.
              More likely, I'm just not as careful about color shifts.

Comment

Working...
              X