Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Kubuntu? Can't login? Check your keyboard config!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Kubuntu? Can't login? Check your keyboard config!!

Hi all. I wanted to make this message as prominent as possible for new Kubuntu users.
    The CD install offers 'auto keyboard layout' detection, but if you get this wrong, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LOG IN to your new system!

But don't panic.

If you're having this problem, firstly, verify you can log in to the text console:

1) Hold down CTRL+ALT, then hit F1.
    2) You should see a text console 'login:' prompt.
    3) Try entering the username+password you entered during CD install.
    4) If you can login, you've probably got your keyboard mis-configured.

To fix:
    1) At the console you just logged into above, type
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    2) Skip through all the options about video card configuration and detection,
    as they should already have the proper values if you had a graphical Kubuntu
    KDM login screen after the CD installation.
    3) Re-answer any keyboard-related questions, taking care to do so accurately for
    your language of PC. I had configured 'US-intl' by mistake, with a PC105 keyboard,
    when I really needed 'US' (no -intl) and a PC104 keyboard.

4) You may need to restart X (the graphical window manager). Type:
    /etc/init.d/kdm restart

Apparently 'kdm', the graphical login manager, takes your keyboard language into account when sending your password on to the 'pamd' authorization system, which can mess up your password in transit! If your keyboard is mis-configured, and you use punctuation like "@^$&" in your password, it'll get messed up during translation.

Hopefully this helps other people.

Kubuntu/Ubuntu people: This should be documented in BIG RED LETTERS during the CD install and in the FAQs (maybe it is already in the FAQ, but people new to Linux shouldn't be expected to troll through the net for this obscure information).

Even though this was my own fault rushing through the CD installation, it made for a bad out-of-box experience, and I'm sure lots of other people will make a similar mistake. If we're going to beat that certain other OS on the desktop, things like this need to be safer! :-)

It's a wonderful distro, don't get me wrong; but I'm glad I had Linux experience otherwise I would have had no clue how to fix this!

Re: New to Kubuntu? Can't login? Check your keyboard config!!

I felt it would be better to revive this old post instead of starting a new one.

The info in Russtopias post still stands. Happened to me yesterday installing Kubuntu using the Wubi installer. I chose swedish keyboard but ended up with italian somehow. Before I noticed I had already made passwords for my login and KWallet etc. I managed to change layout just fine but when I did I found myself not able to login again at reboot.

Solved it using recovery mode at bootup, but I've been using Linux for 10 years, someone new probably wont know what to do.

If anyone have any hints as to how I can reset my password for KWallet as well(havn't figured that out yet...) feel free to drop me a line. I'm also still unable to mount the MS Windows partition due to the system requiering a password for that as well.

Other than that 9.04 is the cats pyjamas

Comment

Re: New to Kubuntu? Can't login? Check your keyboard config!!

To reset your KWallet password, delete the contents of the kwallet directory.
      Open a console and type:
      Code:
      rm ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/*
      The next time KWallet window pops up, you can set your master password.

Note: This will of course, require you to add any stored passwords that you did have for specific applications.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X