This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED:How do I find motherboard model?

How can I find out what model motherboard I'm using? I'm totally brain freezing, and don't want to shut the computer down and read it off the reboot screen. I went through all the system setting hardware lists I could find, but could not find the model of the motherboard. I'm sure there's some simple command I can type that will tell me, but I've been googling for ages and just can't find it. HELP! Please!

Re: How do I find motherboard model?

Im not 100% sure (as im a linux newb myself) but i assume it will be some sort of grep command.

Comment

With the access panel removed from your computer, the Model Number of your MB is usually found printed on the board right below the last PCI slot.

Comment

I don't think that information is available to the OS -- I've never heard of it in Windows or Linux. Only the CPU and some of the chipset information, graphics and sound chips, and media models can be found (see Kmenu>System>KInfoCenter). I'm not even sure you're going to see the motherboard model on the BIOS splash at bootup -- I think you're going to see only the BIOS maker's logo and version number, before it starts the boot sequence.

I think Detonate has given the only correct method available to see the motherboard model number. :P

Comment

It can be done. I have done it. I just don't remember how... (sign of old age) I managed to produce a file in html which gave information about my motherboard. I thnk I might have found something on Planet Ubuntu.

In Windows you can use e.g. Belarc Advisor (which is available as a free download) and this will usually show the motherboard
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

See http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2007/02/...your-computer/
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Learn something every day

Comment

Marvelous --- thank you very much!

But, after reading the output for 5 minutes, I still don't see a motherboard model in there, do I?

Comment

At the top it says "Product". Mine shows AK39. I have a Shuttle AK39 Motherboard.

Comment

Mine is shown in the section, entitled core.

Comment

It looks like the console output on mine "overwrites" the first part -- when I scroll back up the console window to the top, the first line in my console window reads "capabilities: asynchronous internal write-back unified" -- but I cannot see where I issued the original lshw command. So, maybe it did tell the motherboard model -- but I don't understand why part of the output would disappear like that.

EDIT: By using the "create in HTML" version of the command, I got it to produce a complete answer -- here is the part where I concede the point (i.e. arochester was right all along ....):

id: core
                      description: Motherboard
                      product: D975XBX
                      vendor: Intel Corporation
                      physical id: 0
                      version: AAD27094-305
                      serial: BQBX63500913
                      slot: Base Board Chassis Location

You rock, arochester!

Comment

Originally posted by arochester