Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows xp won't boot after instaling Feist Fawn.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows xp won't boot after instaling Feist Fawn.

I believe I made a mistake when I installed Feisty Fawn. I thought that the default
    Partition would allow me to boot aether Windows or Kubuntu. However it doesn't give me the option. Have I killed Windows xp? Now I don't know weather to Reinstall Windows or how to proceed from hear. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

p.s. Please keep it simple I'm very new.
    Tim the truck driver

Re: Windows xp won't boot after instaling Feist Fawn.

As long as you did not install over the top of Win XP, that system is still intact. It sounds like you had the GRUB install in the MBR (master boot record) that was occupied by the Win XP boot loader. This can be fixed. Open a Konsole Terminal shell and type:

sudo fdisk -l (that is a lower-case L)

You will be prompted for a password, which is your password. This will print (to the screen) your disk and partition information which can be used to verify that your Win XP is still present.

If you search on GRUB or dual-boot within this Forum, you will find a lot of information on properly setting up a dual-boot system and on fixing MBR issues.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Windows xp won't boot after instaling Feist Fawn.

Thanks for the help!

Tim
      Tim the truck driver

Comment

Working...
      X