X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed 7.04 Now I have 860x600

Greetings,

After I upgrade my distro I am now having some issues with the vid card. I have a ATI Rage Mobility 128. I did have this posted in another forum and they recomened that I use an other. I have tried the guide to manually change the resolution; however, I ended up reinstalling the OS. If anyone has had this problem let me know.

Cheers,
    Mac

Re: Installed 7.04 Now I have 860x600

I tested the 6.10 live CD-all was great.
    I installed and suddenly my screen is 640X480.
    It won't increase.
    Half of the X windows and web pages are only half viewable.
    I have an old ATI Rage Fury Pro.

Now the easiest fix is to buy a new card-i hear nVadia is good.
    But i wonder...
    Why would the CD work, but not the install?

Perhaps i'll upgrade to 7.04 when i figure how.
    Ed

Comment

I'm no expert, but you sure you got the correct drivers listed in K->System Settings->Monitor&Display->Hardware. It should list both your Graphics Card, and Driver. And it could be wrong so verify with other documentation (I used my Windows install) Also, in my experince, the driver doesn't match the Graphics Card. The Driver "Pack" is i810, and it supports a family of Graphics Cards (that took considerable googling to figure out.) including my 945GM model card. Even after I had the correct Graphics Card & Driver match, I couldn't get into my native resolution. I had to get an additional "update" called "915 resolution". You can see it in adept. 915 is the standard that my 945 Card uses, even though the driver is the i810 standard. (Who makes this stuff up?) Anyhoo... sounds like you might have one of the above problems.

Google your Graphics Card Model and the words "Native Resolution" and Ubuntu or Linux and see what you get.

Make notes, so if you have to reinstall, it goes smoother.
      Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Originally posted by Lulofs
        Why would the CD work, but not the install?
        "Compare & contrast" the respective configuration, stored in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, of the X server installed to your machine to that featured by the (CD) live system in order to "find" an answer

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
          "Compare & contrast" the respective configuration, stored in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, of the X server installed to your machine to that featured by the (CD) live system in order to "find" an answer
          The simple answer: The default video drivers on the CD probably didn't get you the proper resolution and graphics acceleration and all that. When the CD did the actual install it tried to guess at the exact driver for the hardware and it guessed wrong. Or it configured it all wrong. Even windows does that sometimes. The windows device manager makes it easier to find the problem though. Kubuntu needs a device manager. :P

It maybe helpful to find someone with the exact same hardware (graphics and video) as you got and have them post their xorg.config for you. (or e-mail it to you). Then you could compare, make changes, or just use theirs (back up yours though). Good luck
          Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Working...
          X