This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I become root in Konqueror

Typing sudo su seems to make me root in a terminal but how would I get root access in Konqueror? Seems whenever I try to either open or create a file in one of the directories I get nowhere because I don't have permission. Or, is there a way to just boot up as the root user. Would make learning this OS a lot easier. Thanks.

Re: How do I become root in Konqueror

Start konqueror (or any other GUI software you wish to run 'as root') with kdesu:
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    Be careful when running programs as root. If you change things, make sure you know what you're doing (or know how to recover).

Comment

I tried this and I just get a "Permission denied".

Comment

run konsole

sudo konqueror

now give it your password (your standard user, probably made during the install)

Aaron

Comment

Konqueror opens as a web browser. How do I make it a file manager? Thanks.

Comment

Once more, I'll speak heresy ....

There's a really boring, old-fashioned looking, double-pane file manager called Krusader in the standard repos. If you install it with Adept, it will provide you a Root (Red) Krusader in your System menu, and a Blue (Powerless User) Krusader in your Utilities menu. It has all the "MKDIR" and "MOUNT" and other commands built in, as well as a nice double-window to do your file copying and deleting and other file-trashing work with. I set the Blue one to "show on desktop", so it's there whenever I need to move stuff around, and then the Red one is reserved for the truly dangerous tasks.

Konquerer lovers -- you're OK, please don't hurt me .....

Comment

Alt+F2 -> type kdesu: konqueror, give your password at promt, off you go
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

This gives you the "file manager" in it's own window.

kfmclient openProfile filemanagement

There's not much use running it as root but if you want to prefix it with a 'kdesu'.

When you right click in your user konqueror you have an "Edit as root' option in the action menu too.

Comment

Konqueror opens as a web browser
                  Just enter enter / or /home or any local directory in the address line.

Comment

Working...
                  X