Clear All

Firefox 1.5

Downloaded firefox-1.5.tar.gz to upgrade form firefox 1.0.7
    Opened the package.
    Don't know what to do to install it.
    Would someone help, please.

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Re: Firefox 1.5

simply extract the archive to some place and RUN!

No installation required. O, please make sure that you uninstall the old one (sudo apt-get remove firefox)

Comment

Thanks for the reply, gnutux.

I uninstalled old firefox as per your instructions. I have the new package on my desktop but can't make it run. Don't I need to instal it, somewhere?

Thanks

Lowey
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

The package you downloaded is a compressed file. You should decide where you want Firefox located and copy or move the package there. Keep it in one of your home directories, though, so that you can be certain you'll be able to run it. Then you need to extract the files from the package. You can do that in Konqueror by right-clicking on the package and selecting Extract Here. Alternatively, you can use the command line with:

sudo tar -xvzf [the name of the Firefox .gz file]

Either way, the extracted files will be placed in a directory that is a sub-directory of the location of the package.

You then run by simply entering firefox in a console. You can add an item to your menu; you can add an icon to your desktop, etc.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, randcoop.
          I moved the extracted files to my /home directory. Typed firefox in a console and received

garylowe@ubuntu:~$ firefox
          bash: firefox: command not found

I'm not real good at this so any (detailed?) help would be appreciated.

Lowey

Comment

Thanks all, for your help. Somehow managed to get it working, although i am not real sure what I did.

I think next time I will wait for the new version to turn up in Synaptic.

Cheers

Lowey

Comment

For future reference, if typing the executable command (firefox, for example) doesn't work in the console, then try ./firefox (or whatever) instead.

Comment

Also, there is a guide on installing (and removing) firefox, here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion
                <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Thanks, nirvana, have bookmarked the link for future use.

Thanks, all, once again for your help.

Lowey

Comment

Isn't version 1.5 in the debian repositories? Why not just apt-get it?

Comment

I had trouble with that today as well. I ended up using apt-get install mozilla-firefox. That worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by corndog
                        I had trouble with that today as well. I ended up using apt-get install mozilla-firefox. That worked like a charm.
                        Corndog,

Was the version that you installed with apt-get install mozilla-firefox indeed 1.5? If so, how is it performance-wise The reason I'm asking is ver. 1.0.7 that is/was in the repositories was painfully S-L-O-W to load/browse/etc. I'm wondering if that's been fixed now with ver. 1.5. I've been using the link in reply #7 above to install since 1.5 RC1 and it's FAST! It's the ver. directly from Mozilla themselves.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi! I'm really new in Linux, installed it yesterday for the first time, never had a contact with it before! I'm surprised how nice it is, but it is a bit complicated (but that is fun). I can't update firefox in Adept because the 1.5 version doesn't exist (only the 1.0.7). So I downloaded it manually and unpacked it in '/home/johannes/Programs/'. But when trying start firefox in Terminal-mode typing './firefox' I get this message:

/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                          johannes@JOMPA:~/Programs/firefox$

I've checked the libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 in the Adept but there is no such thing. The only libgtk2.0 I found installed is libgtk2.0-0, libgtk2.0-0-bin and libgtk2.0-0-common.

Edit: I have libstdc6++ installed.
                          Edit: I'm using an AMD64-processor...

Can somehone help me?

Another question that doesn't have anything with firefox to do. How do I copying/creating/deleting things above the '/home/johannes'-folder without using sudo in the Terminal, how do I do it in GUI?

/Thanks for any clear answers

PS.
                          I'm not regretting installing Kubuntu yesterday, it seems to be awesome. It feels like XP really sucks now ...right now for this time. 

Comment

As mentioned in reply #7 above, you should use this link to install Firefox 1.5:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion

As to how to delete things in a GUI, fire up Konqueror (the System Menu just to the right of the "K" and click on the Home folder) and delete away!

Comment

No it doesn't working to install firefox 1.5, I've already tried the link above, I think there are som libs missing but I don't know how to install them. I got a tip using the command ldd for file firefox-bin in the firefox-directory:

johannes@JOMPA:/opt/firefox$ ldd firefox-bin
                                      linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
                                      libmozjs.so => not found
                                      libxpcom.so => not found
                                      libxpcom_core.so => not found
                                      libplds4.so => not found
                                      libplc4.so => not found
                                      libnspr4.so => not found
                                      libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x5557d000)
                                      libdl.so.2 => /lib32/tls/libdl.so.2 (0x5558e000)
                                      libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => not found
                                      libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => not found
                                      libatk-1.0.so.0 => not found
                                      libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => not found
                                      libpangoxft-1.0.so.0 => not found
                                      libpangox-1.0.so.0 => not found
                                      libpango-1.0.so.0 => not found
                                      libgobject-2.0.so.0 => not found
                                      libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => not found
                                      libglib-2.0.so.0 => not found
                                      libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 (0x55593000)
                                      libm.so.6 => /lib32/tls/libm.so.6 (0x55653000)
                                      libsmime3.so => not found
                                      libssl3.so => not found
                                      libnss3.so => not found
                                      libsoftokn3.so => not found
                                      libXrender.so.1 => not found
                                      libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libfreetype.so.6 (0x55676000)
                                      libXt.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXt.so.6 (0x556e0000)
                                      libxpcom_compat.so => not found
                                      libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5 (0x5572f000)
                                      libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x557e9000)
                                      libc.so.6 => /lib32/tls/libc.so.6 (0x557f4000)
                                      libXft.so.2 => not found
                                      libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libfontconfig.so.1 (0x55923000)
                                      /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x55555000)
                                      libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXau.so.6 (0x55951000)
                                      libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x55954000)
                                      libz.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libz.so.1 (0x55958000)
                                      libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libSM.so.6 (0x5596c000)
                                      libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libICE.so.6 (0x55974000)
                                      libexpat.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libexpat.so.1 (0x5598d000)

This tells me many files are missing but I don't know how to install them, maybe something went wrong in the install of Kubuntu? I'll try reinstall the system and see what happens, if someone isn't fast enough to help me...

And also, about my other question. Yes I know and can copy files via Konqueror but it only works in the home directory, but not above that directory. I get message 'Access denied", of course it is because the GUI isn't using the sudo command. Can I make Konqueror to use the sudo command automaticlly? I've read that if login as root it will work but it can be dangerous (why?). Maybe I should post this question in a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X