This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot crash

Trying just to run Kubuntu. Get menu with choices to start or install and all that.

As soon as I select any of the options even check cd it brings up a dialog that says Starting in the title and loading the kernal.

Get dots all across the top of the screen show progress of kernal load then it just reboots.

Doesnt matter what option on the menu I pick even just to check the cd and it gets to the same point (looks like just after it finishes loading the kernal) and it reboots.

This is an old system I had sitting around AMD 1ghz, 256 megs of ram, 80 gig drive.

I have installed 3 other distros on this machine without any issues at all. As matter of fact it has a Knoppix install on it right now that boots and runs fine.

Any one have any ideas where I can even start to troubleshoot this? Doesnt give any error messages at all it just reboots over and over as long as I let it.

Re: Boot crash

Some basic trouble shooting - to eliminate the 'simple' stuff - may be helpful. First, is the Live CD you are using one you 'burned' from a downloaded .iso file, or from a production CD from Ubuntu? But you don't even have to start there (issue being, is the CD 'good') first. Will the CD boot up properly when used on another machine? If it does, then you can assume that the CD is good, and that the problem is with your 'older machine.' If the CD won't install correctly on another PC, then the cause is most likely the CD it self.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah I should have mentioned that, I did run the cd on my main machine(new) and it booted fine and I even went ahead and ran the check cd from the main menu on the cd when it was in my main computer and it checked out ok.

I am pretty sure it has something to do with my old machine, but its pretty basic. CPU, video card, hard drive and cdrom.

Thats pretty much it. I have gone through the bios several times. And like I said several other distros install and run on this exact hardware.

I am open for suggestions. And thanks for the reply.

Comment

Hi !

Have you get your problem solved? I run into the same problem too.

Please let me know.

CHeers,
        CHarles

Comment

Working...
        X