This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much space for K 5.10

Sorry in advance for the stupid question. How much space should I allocate for Kubuntu 5.10? I found the "How To" post by "machiner" which says make 4 primaries on your hard drive(#s assuming a 40GB hard drive). 1 for windows. 3 for Linux. #1 at 2 GB for Windows.#2 at 10GB for ext3 . #3 at 27.5GB for Linux/Home.#4 at 500MB for swap. I was going to try this but the SystemRescue Disc didn't run through like he said. I got nervous because I just got my firsty computer 3 months ago. I bought Partition Magic. This is where I get confused. PMagic suggests 1 logical partition. I just read a post here by "conundrum" and he said he used PMagic and a logical partition and it worked. Is there a standard way to have 2 operating systems on your hard drive? I am extremely curious about Linux but I can't find a step by step guide for a beginner to install Linux. Dummies like me are a slave to Gates and Windows because it is on everything and all I have to do is turn the power on and there it is. Again I apologize for the naive and stupid question but any embarassment I may get from posting will be outweighed by the end result of finally getting Linux. (getting it the real way, learning about your computer and making it your own by installing what you want, not what some board room of Gatesians decide you want.) Thank You.

Re: How much space for K 5.10

You don't even need PM! You can use the partitioning tool on the disk!

[the easy way]
    Pop in the CD, it will boot. Read DistroGuide's page on Kubuntu for the install procedure.

[if you want to use PM]
    If you really want to, resize your Windows partition and leave 10GB of space. You can use less (as little as 3GB, maybe even lower) but you risk not haveing as much fun with your linux install. In the new partition, leave it unformated. Restart with the CD in the drive, boot to CD, and install!

[Words of Wisdom]
    -Your swap should be at least 500MB. Setting it lower may result in slow performance/running our of resources, setting it too high will waste disk space unnecessarily. By the way, Swap is the same as the PAGE FILE in Windows.
    -I said this earlier but I stress this: I would say give Kubuntu 10GB of space, but you don't need to. I am running a fully configured Kubuntu with ripped songs and everything, and I'm only using 4GB.
    -If you want to install packages (software), open Adept or Kynaptic, and search there. Unlike windows you will (usually) not need to go to websites to donwload the binaries.
    -This guide is truly great for the beginner: http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxguide.php
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

If you want to install anything in windows, 2 GB will not be enough space. I would recommend 10-15 GB for windows, 10 GB for Kubuntu, 500 MB to 1 GB for swap, and the remainder for home (i.e. 10 GB or more). These numbers are flexible but this is just my recommendation. if you are rarely going to use windows, then you can cut that down, but as you know programs can take up a lot of space and resizing in the future is a pain. so just plan out what you want to do with the computer. Back up all your data and play around with it. You can't really break your computer by doing this. If you accidentally format the whole drive, at least you have a backup and you can always reinstall. Keep in mind linux can read and write fat32 but it can only read NTFS. You may want to use fat32 partitions for windows, that way you can access the files in either operating system. Hope this helps

Comment

Thank you for the help and advice. I'm going at it again tonight and hope to post the outcomes with a Linux based browser. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X