X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB geom error when using NTLOADER

Hey all,
    I managed to install kubuntu successfully, but i wanted to use the ntloader because that is what i had previously done. I had an old Fedora/XP dual boot and i just chose the fedora partitions and reformatted them for kubuntu. including a boot partition, swap and /. I then created an image of the boot partition's first 512Bytes and added it to boot.ini. When i boot up, kubuntu appears in the list to boot from ntloader, but when i choose it i just see a black screen with "grub: " for a while and then it says "grub: geom error". The way i have it set up is my first hard drive hda1 is oen partition of 40GB fat32 and my second 80GB hard drive has 2 fat32 partitions of 32GB and then it has hdb3 the boot partition and hdb 5 and 6 are swap and / respectively. (hdb4 is the extended partition consisting of hdb5 and 6) This is exactly what i had with fedora and it worked before. I didn't repartition at all i just formatted those partitions. I googled and found lots of mentionings of BIOSes causing this, but since it worked before with fedora, I dont think this is my problem. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Re: GRUB not working when using NTLOADER

I still havent figured it out :S although i have got some ideas...i'm thinking it's to do with my grub installation. in my /boot partition i have grub files...but there is no grub.conf file. and i read this
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Bo...nstalling_Grub
    which mentions a different way in which GRUB must be installed if it is to be on a separate hard drive...perhaps fedora did it this way but kubuntu didnt :S OH and btw i downloaded teh kubuntu 7.04 new distro, alternate version (it said it could be used for installing grub to a different location) with a text installer and i still get the same problem...well actually i jsut get a grub prompt but no GEOM error anymore.

Comment

Working...
    X