Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is klamav running twice? Also, help with rc files.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is klamav running twice? Also, help with rc files.

I have two klamav buttons on my start bar. Why is it running twice?

I have looked for rc files which might be responsable, but, frankly, linux's rc files are a mess. I come from the AIX world, where there are few rc files and they are all in /etc. In Linux, I've found 29 of them. But some are directories and I have no idea what those do. How does one find one's way around in this? There are [KS]20clamav-freshclam files in 8 different directories!

Also, I can't find any inittab file in /etc. How does init know what to do?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Why is klamav running twice? Also, help with rc files.

The initial scripts should be all in /etc/init.d. The rc dirs contain only symlinks to that files. They are the scripts that need to be run to be in that runlevel.

Most of the non-dir rc files should be empty. And finally, no, there's no need for inittab. And init doesn't have any problem without inittab because there is no tradicional init in ubuntu, but upstart.

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

Javier.

Comment

I'm back.

There is a graphical front-end to all init scripts in the control panel, advanced section, System Services.

Javier.

Comment

My confusion deepens. The ps -edf command tells me that 2 copies of klamav and 2 copies of freshclam (whatever that may be) are running. Also, there are two red dots on the start bar which correspond to the 2 copies of klamav.

However, the System Services window tells me that clamav-freshclam is started at boot, but that it is not running.

I see klamav and freshclam processes, but system services does not. What gives?

Thanks for your help.
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

We are probably looking at the wrong suspect.

There are two different programs, ClamAV, the real antivirus, is a textbased program. It install a boot time "service" called clamav-freshclam. This should start at boot, update the virus database and close. So ClamAV seems to be working right.

Now, we have KlamAV. A ClamAV front-end for kde. It's not started at boot, nor does it install any service. It's probably starting with the KDE, no the whole system. It's probably spawning freshclam again.

So the problem could be KDE related. Check in the control Panel -> Advanced -> Services Manager, or look in your ~/.kde/Autostart, and play with the sessions options, again in the Control Panel->Advanced->Sessions.

Javier.

Comment

Well, my .kde/Autostart is empty. Services manager, as I said, claims that clamav-freshclam is started at boot, but that it is not running. The ps command tells me it is running, tho, so there's an inconsistency there.

I can even start another.klamav. The problem is that once it's there, the only way to stop it is with the kill command. Not pretty.

As for what you call the Control Panel (Windoze...?), I'm using the Kubuntu version, System Settings, which in the advanced window has a session manager which tells me nothing. It just talks about "restore previous session" on login, but "end current session" as the default shutdown option.

So what else can I look at?

Thanks again for your continuing help.

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
              Services manager, as I said, claims that clamav-freshclam is started at boot, but that it is not running. The ps command tells me it is running, tho, so there's an inconsistency there.
              clamav-freshclam can be started by klamav.

There are two "service managers" in the System Settings.

One is a kind of semaphore labeled "Servicios del Sistema" in my kubuntu
              The other is a flag named "Administrador de Servicios".
              The first one manages system bootup, the second one the kde daemons.

As for what you call the Control Panel (Windoze...?), I'm using the Kubuntu version, System Settings,
              . Nope, at the moment translation from the Spanish version . It's "Preferencias del Sistema" in my computer.

which in the advanced window has a session manager which tells me nothing. It just talks about "restore previous session" on login, but "end current session" as the default shutdown option.
              The "restore previous session" is the one that could be faulty. It means that it will remember the programs that where active when you close the session and open then again. You can try to set it to "start with an empty session" (again on-the-fly translation) and log-out, log-in to check if there is some session related problem.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
              X