Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual boot install. Help needed to install Kubuntu.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual boot install. Help needed to install Kubuntu.

Hi all,
    I am new to Linux and am trying to install Kubuntu as a dual boot with XP. I have put the live CD in and gone to install it from there but have got a bit confused about the partitions required for installation.

My set up is as follows:
    C:/ (windows XP) 127Gb and G:/ 21Gb( formatted but nothing else on it) are two partitions on my 1st 150GB HD.
    I have D:/ which is a 2nd HD and is 37Gb (storage) in size. All are NTFS partitions.

I want to install Kubuntu on G:/. I have selected to do it manually as someone told me if I let it do it automatically it will just use C:/ and nuke my windows install which I dont want it to . However on stage 5 of the install its preparing my partitions and this is where i have got a bit confused.

At this piont is was on about having to select one partition to mount the root "/" which must be at least 2 GB and select one partition for the swap file which must be more that 256Mgs. Does this mean I have to split G:/ (the 21 Gb partition I want to install onto ) again into two partitions?

These are the screens that are the culprits,
    [img width=400 height=300]http://www.brownbread.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/install.jpg[/img]
    [img width=400 height=300]http://www.brownbread.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/install1.jpg[/img]

if anyone could help I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

*edit you might have to right click and choose view to see them at full size to read the text.

Re: Dual boot install. Help needed to install Kubuntu.

After selecting manual partition (at the first screen that you have posted), right click on the 27 GB drive (where you want the partition), select delete (all data shall be lost) . Then again select the drive, right click and select resize. There select about 8 GB for the new partition for root (ext3 format).

From the balance 18 GB, resize again, 2 GB for SWAP (format as swap).

The rest left (17 GB) can be formatted as ext3 OR fat32. Windows does not read ext3. fat32 is read by both OS.

In the next screen (your second screen), ensure that you see all the drives, else add them (note down from previous page). Make sure that your 3 new partitions are there and the 'FORMAT' box is ticked. Also make sure that FORMAT box of other drives are not ticked (untick otherwise unless you want to format them).

2 GB is minimum for root, suggest 4 GB min, 8 to 12 GB if possible. Keep 2 GB for swap, not less.

Happy Kubuntu.

Comment

Re: Dual boot install. Help needed to install Kubuntu.

Thanks for the help, I have managed to sort it out

Comment

Working...
      X