This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how does one do restore with kubuntu

My kubuntu edgy elf has worked wonders till now when I opted to "none" for the splash screen and then rebooted,

I get a white window" Could not start kstartupconfig. Check your installation", I press OK, happens again, I press enter again, returns to start screen.

I would like to just get back my system since I have nothing important on it, so first I would like to know about restore, second I would like to know about mend, and lastly if all else fails I would like to know how to backup my system elsewhere so that I can restore it from an external source,

thanks
    every day is a gift

Re: how does one do restore with kubuntu

The easiest way to do this is boot into recovery mode and at the root prompt type startx. Then setup a new user in k->systemconfiguration->users. You can then reboot into the new user.
    If you wish you can the copy and replace the ./kde (hidden) file from the new user (/home/newuser) into the old user (/home/olduser). If not just delete the old user from the systemconfiguration_>users list.
    That should work. If you get that far there are plenty of backup prossiblities. Unfortunatly the are not very many good restore or repair possiblities from the cd's (alt. or live)

I hope that helps.

Cheers
    Fintan
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

when I type startx, it runs a nice blue screen till a window appears "could not start kstartupconfig. check your installation"

I really want to learn this because I want to be able to return to this point agan and again, thanks.
      every day is a gift

Comment

here is the report it gives after startx fails, hope it helps:

log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
        modual ABI minor version (6) is newer that the server`s version(5)
        failed to load module "wacom" (module requirement mismatch, 0)/usr
        error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/securitypolicy
        no imput driver matching "wacom"
        The Xkeyboard keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
        warning: type "one_level" as 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
        ignoring extra symbols
        errors from xkbcomp are not fatel to the X server

waiting for x server to shut down freefontpath:FPE "/usr/share/x11/fonts/misc"
        refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing

every day is a gift

Comment

Originally posted by fleamailman
          till now when I opted to "none" for the splash screen
          Where (or how) did you do that?

Comment

Did you go into KJ->system config->startscreen (or something like that , mine is in german) and then choose none? Oops.

I know this is a chicken out way of doing it but as you said there is not much important on it I would suggest doing a fresh install (feisty is out).
            Before you do that setup a partition for /home and / (root) leaving your win part. if exsistant alone. As you already have installed once you already have a swap.
            This will help you on that part:
            http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Then install and partition manualy. Meaning chose the partitions you have selected and mount then as needed.

As far as recovery and backup goes, well there are a lot of tools here. But lets get that far first.

I hope this helps a bit more than my last suggestion.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

OK, you are right I chickened before reading this and put the 5gb harddrive into a caddie and reinstalled kubuntu to larger newer 10gb harddrive and then read stuff off the first harddrive but then the second harddrive also crashed I fear because of something in the first, so I still have that harddrive laying about but I am not going to touch it until I understand alot more about what I am doing. I am getting used to installing and upgrading and as soon as I get mp3s to play on amarok I would like to back up this system, what are my options then?

every day is a gift

Comment

Working...
              X