This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems saving changes

Ive managed to find my way to editing Grub in order to make windows the default OS. Mainly because my wife, bless her, needs XP to run her particular work program.

Anyway Im running Feisty Fawn and when I go into Kate and edit the "menu.lst" to what I need, I click on save and it throws me the line:-

Code:
    The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to file:///boot/grub/menu.lst.
    Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available.
    Well I believe Ive got plenty of space. Not figured how to check that yet. And Im the sole user logging in as admin.
    Whats going wrong??

Re: Problems saving changes

You're trying to edit a system file as a lowly, scum-sucking, unauthorized user -- shame on you!

Start kate with
    Code:
    kdesu kate
    , and you'll get the result you're looking for. You have to be a Super User to save any changes to system files like menu.lst, sources.list, xorg.conf, etc.

You should see the message from my elive system when I make the mistake you just did -- it goes something like:

"NOTICE: You are not a member of the sudoers group for this system! This incident will be reported."

Comment

Re: Problems saving changes

Good god. It worked!

Many thanks dibl.

I'll be learning as I go with all this. Linux is great, far better than I thought it would be.

Comment

Working...
      X