This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some basic Adept questions

When adept runs and finds a bunch of upgradeable programs...

Is there a way to see how much additional disk space will be used? It does say how large the update downloads are, but doesn't give me an idea of how much more space it'll take once installed. We are working with a finite hard drive space, and perhaps I may not apply the latest and greatest update if it is inflating the OS beyone what I find as acceptable.

Such as, Adept tells me it is downloading 60MB of upgrades. I assume this 60MB is zipped and probably a lot more once unzipped. Then it installs, replacing the original components (I dunno how it manages to over install programs that I currently have running without shutting them down, But that is for another post I guess.), and then hopefully it deletes the original out of date component as well as the zipped downloads. You do this say 20 times (A logical number in one running of adept) and one might have lost a lot of free disk space.

Will adept find updates to other non Kubuntu programs? Like Wine, beryl, etc. I think in the installation of wine I had to put it in the update list that adept uses. So these guys could really inflate my hard drive too. =)
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: Some basic Adept questions

Originally posted by Ant2ne
    Is there a way to see how much additional disk space will be used?
    Yep - with "plain" apt-get (further reading) 8)

Comment

The status bar in Adept will give you the information you need. It will say "download: ___ installation: ___" which says how much will be downloaded, and how much space will be taken up by the actual installation.

When you download updates for packages, copies of the .deb packages are stored in an archive folder temporarily. The location is in /var/cache/apt/archives. You can manually clean the APT archives by giving the command

Code:
      sudo apt-get clean
      Adept performs this cleaning automatically every day, as far as I know.
      Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

I have a question too, when I search in adept for example for xorg nvidia it will search for "xorg nvidia" phrase, is there any possibility of searching for packages that have both words, but as separate phrases. I can't explain it well, but I want to search as for example with google - when I search for xorg nvidia, I would like to get "xorg driver - nvidia" or something like that in the package header.

Thanks in advance

Aaron

Comment

Working...
        X