This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 64 hangs on loading GUI

I just purchased a computer and decided to install a linux os onto it. I tried Kubuntu 5.10 64-bit and Open Suse 10.0 32-bit. Im running just the Linux OS. In both instances, the GUI will freeze up after using it for a while. i can move the mouse but i cannot click or type anything. I do not know whats the problem but i suspect is some hardware issues since i've tried different distros. I installed them with default options.

My computer specs are as below:
    Socket 754 Sempron 64-bit 3000+
    MSI K8MM-V (Via VT8237R & Via K8M800-CE chipsets512x2)
    512mb x 2 PC3200-400 CL2.5 ram
    Maxtor 200GB SATA

I suspect its a problem with the SATA controller but i have really no idea how to solve the problem even if its the case. Would greatly appreciate anyone who can drop a line or help me out over here.

Re: Kubuntu 64 hangs on loading GUI

I also just installed on an MSI K8 board, (Opteron64 3400) and had a similar problem. The problem stemmed from the vidio drivers. I have an MSI GeForce 6200 Nvidia card, and the default NV drivers did not work right.

I'll assume that you have an NVidia Video card as well, if so, here is what I did:

1) Open Adept, click on Adept/Manage Repositories, uncomment enable the 'restricted' files by right clicking on the third line "deb http//us.archives .... and choosing 'enable' Then hit 'fetch updates'
    2) Get the Nvidia drivers. Run a filter in Adept on 'nvidia.'
    Select your version of linux-restricted-modules
    Select nvidia-glx
    Select nvidia-kernel-common
    Select nvidia-settings
    Note: I'm not sure if you need all of them or not, but it worked for me.
    3) Find the horizontal and vertical synch rates for your monitor. (I had to look them up at the manufacturer's site.)
    4) run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. You will need to run it as root. I chose to run sudo -i to get a root console, then typed the command. You will go through several different screens of options, the important ones for me were: Choose the 'Nvidia' driver instead of the default 'nv' driver, and choose 'Advanced' for the monitor options and type in the synch rates.

After I did that, the system identified my video card and gave me the monitor options I wanted, and best of all... no more lockups (so far )

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X