This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange ntfs mounting problem

I recently started dual-booting my computer.

This is how I set it up:
    I have two hard drives (hda and hdb)
    I partitioned hda into hda1 (NTFS Win XP), hda2 (ext3 Kubuntu) and hda3 (swap)
    I already had all my data files on hdb so I left it as it was (hdb1)

I wanted write access to my ntfs drive, so I downloaded ntfs-3g. I modifed the hdb entry as follows:
    Code:
    /dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1	ntfs-3g	defaults,nls=utf8,umask=117,gid=111 0 1
    (obviously, my primary user is in group 111 (admin))

That worked fine, and upon rebooting, I checked the /media directory, and got:
    Code:
    drw-rw---- 1 root admin 8192 2007-04-08 16:20 hdb1
    as expected. Everything worked properly; I could read and write on the drive.

I used this setup for a while, and eventually, opened adept to update/upgrade everything (this may or may not be related to this issue). That was the last thing I did before shutting down my computer.

Once I restarted it, I found that my ntfs drive no longer worked as expected. Unless I was root, I lost read read access to the drive, even though I am a member of group 111 (admin). Again, strangely, an ls -l of /media gave me the results I expected (see above).

I unmounted and remounted the drive using mount -a. It worked, in that I could still read files, but I got this warning in the process:
    Code:
    WARNING: Deficient FUSE kernel module detected. Some driver features are
         not available (swap file on NTFS, boot from NTFS by LILO), and
         unmount is not safe unless it's made sure the ntfs-3g process
         naturally terminates after calling 'umount'. The safe FUSE kernel
         driver is included in the official Linux kernels since version
         2.6.20-rc1, or in the FUSE 2.6.0 or later software packages,
         except the faulty FUSE version 2.6.2. For more help, please
         have a look at /usr/share/doc/ntfs-3g/README.Debian. Thanks
    Note: I also tried using the UUID that I found pre-configured in fstab instead of /dev/hdb1, as follows:
    Code:
    UUID=80D43017D4301240/media/hdb1   ntfs-3g	defaults,nls=utf8,umask=117,gid=111 0 1
    Any help would be appreciated. I'll probably end up switching to ext3 anyway, since dealing ntfs is starting to become a real annoyance. In the meantime, however, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

edit: forgot to mention this. snowhog reminded me. Using edgy (kernel version 2.6.17-11-386)

Re: strange ntfs mounting problem

Curious, but what kernal version are you using? Reading your (well) documented issue, what caught my eye was the "...except the faulty FUSE version 2.6.2." in the last warning message you got.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, sorry, turns out, I didn't actually lose read access or anything. I was somehow under the impression that read permissions = search directory permissions, which is not the case. Just had to change unmask=117 to unmask=007, seems to be working pretty well, now.

I had unmasked 117 because execute permissions aren't really needed for any of the files on that drive, but had forgotten that I need the 1's for search directory (ok, I said that twice, I guess). How would I go about setting permissions so that all directories are searchable but no files are executable?

Comment

Originally posted by kanima
        How would I go about setting permissions so that all directories are searchable but no files are executable?
        Mount with 'noexec' (add noexec to your mount options in fstab)

Comment

After updating my installed ntfs-3g, that warning message shows up in my computer too everytime I manually unmount and mount my ntfs partition. I think this message only appears in the latest version ntfs-3g.

Comment

Working...
          X