This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New disks

I know all the answers are "out there" and even "in here" - but I need some qualified opinions as how/what to do.

Late 2006 I installed Kubuntu 6.10 on a spare 4Gb hard disk, sitting in a bay on an old, trusty BE6 based PC. To my astonishment, it's possibly to do real things, so I included the 2Gb SCSI disk for largish files, got the Samba network going, even the printer on the Win2000 PC where my printers, scanner etc. normally are.

I experience some problems, though. The disk is too slow, and too small - and I probably could do with more memory (196Mb now), and my attempts to put the WIFI USB dongle directly to the BE6 proved not only unsuccessful, but "disastrous."

The first problem is to be relieved soon, as I have two 10Gb SCSI disks coming one of these days. I also hope to find some more memory, but I don't know when.

Obviously I would like to put Kubuntu on the SCSI disks 10+10+2Gb.

One possibility I guess is to use a cloning tool, and just transfer the 4Gb disk to one of the SCSI disks and just change something to get it to boot.

However, I do want to use all the three SCSI disks, so I probably would like to put some of Kubuntu onto them too.

And, as Feisty Fawn seems to be more or less ok now, and the Kubuntu PC still isn't used for anything that does not allow for some time of figuring out how to get it going, perhaps I should go straight there?

It seems it is two ways of doing that, though - and one of them is to do the cloning first, and then upgrade. That, I guess, will make most things easier - no extra software to install and so on.

I have also seen some ideas where Kubuntu is just transferred from one disk to - in this case - three new ones. If I do it this way, I could probably also prepare for introducing more memory, by making a larger swap partition, maybe on the 2 Gb disk. As I plan something like 512 Mb-768Mb - what should the size of this swap partition be?

Re: New disks

Well lets see... You can use the dd command to ghost your current drive onto a new drive.
    Example:
    #dd if=/dev/xxx of=/dev/yyy bs=32768

Where xxx= the source drive, and yyy= the target drive (hda, hdb sda,sdb ect..)
    the bs= refers to block size, dd defaults to 512 byte in each transfer. The 32768 =512 times 64 or one complete track at a time.
    Here's the point that I should tell you to read up on the dd command. It's a powerful utility, and can be your best friend, or worst enemy if it gets borked up.
    The old rule of thumb about swap space used to be swap= ram

More info here about multi-disk here: http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/M...isk-HOWTO.html
    My favorite partition editor here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA
      I need some qualified opinions as how/what to do
      My opinion (may it be qualified or not ...):

1. Clone-copy the whole system to the first new drive.
      2. Move home to a new partition on the second drive.
      3. Dedicate the complete old drive to be swap space.

Explain that to your boot loader ...

--

Further reading:

# Moving Root
      # Moving Home
      # Add. Remarks

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
        I need some qualified opinions as how/what to do
        My opinion (may it be qualified or not ...):

1. Clone-copy the whole system to the first new drive.
        2. Move home to a new partition on the second drive.
        3. Dedicate the complete old drive to be swap space.

Explain that to your boot loader ...

--

As the "explaining to the boot loader" part seems the most mysterious to me - how about just installing a complete new Edgy Eft without the old disk in the system at all? I could easily put the /home at disk #2, and swap at disk #3. One of your links indicate that I probably should put /tmp there too.

Then, replace ... eh, well ... what can I replace from my old main disk? The /home? The whatever hold the programs and settings?

Comment

how about just installing a complete new Edgy Eft without the old disk in the system at all
          Of course, that's the (very conservative) way I'm doing it on my own (main) workstation from time to time ... the obvious downside: you'll have to "transfer" all and every configuration etc. manually (which, in turn, I regard as an opportunity to clean-up ...).

Comment

Working...
          X