This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help networking XP with Kubuntu via firewire

I'm using 7.04 beta as a file server for music and video, but ethernet transfer speed is a little bit lagging. My main PC is running XP and is right next to the server, so I'm looking to network via firewire. I've looked all over but I can't really find any guides for this. I know its a somewhat obscure request, but any help would be great.

Re: Need help networking XP with Kubuntu via firewire

Originally posted by krewl
    I'm using 7.04 beta as a file server for music and video, but ethernet transfer speed is a little bit lagging. My main PC is running XP and is right next to the server, so I'm looking to network via firewire. I've looked all over but I can't really find any guides for this. I know its a somewhat obscure request, but any help would be great.
    Did you try a switch box? Someone said it would be 10x times faster than via router. Don't know anything about networks though.

Comment

Did you have a look here?

http://www.linux1394.org/faq.php

I don't have the time to look into it just now, but as FireWire is superior for transmitting large continuous streams of data, it's the obvious choice for your networking. If you find out, I'll be very interesting in knowing how

Comment

I'll write this here as a permanent help for those who also want to connect Kubuntu to XP using firewire. I needed to do this a while back and succeeded in creating a Remote Desktop connection to XP from Kubuntu. Now that I need to do it again on another install, I've completely forgotten how to do it, and just spend a very long while digging the web trying to find the solution and here it is.

Connecting Kubuntu to XP (or another OS) using FireWire IEEE 1394 as Ethernet connection (Thanks to HeissFuss for posting this on the LinuxForums)

(Note to self
        Code:
        sudo modprobe eth1394
        Code:
        sudo ifconfig <fwdevicename> up
        (In my case
        Code:
        sudo ifconfig eth1 up
        Yay.
        www.behance.net/Loadus

Comment

Working...