This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept - BREAK (upgade)

Updating, as usual, but for the last 4 or 5 days it keeps asking to upgrade mozilla-mplayer.
    But it can't because it says 'BREAK (upgrade)' and then quits.

What, please, is the command line to clear this broken package so it can then upgrade?
    I'm surprised that in Adept it has no option to remove this package.

Re: Adept - BREAK (upgade)

Amongst (several) others: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=13565.0

Comment

Sorry - I should have searched but there seem to be so many half problems I'm sorting that I just begged foe help!

However - none of the commands on that page worked - and the last talked of missing dependencies (which are handled by adept aren't they?
      >>
      jon@chi:~$ sudo dpkg --configure --pending
      Password:
      jon@chi:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
      jon@chi:~$ sudo dpkg --audit
      jon@chi:~$ sudo apt-get install mozilla-mplayer
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
      requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
      distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
      or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
      the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
      that package should be filed.
      The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
      mozilla-mplayer: Depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0) but 2.3.2-7ubuntu2 is to be installed
      Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.8) but 1.14.5-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
      E: Broken packages
      <<

Question is - these are installed, but not the latest versions. I really don't want to be getting in this deep, so how can I simply tell Adept to forget about mozilla-mplayer? Why cant I just install it instead of having the red warning triangle there all the time, please?

Also surely everybody must be getting the same problem if the repositories do not have the dependencies that another of their things wants?

Comment

Yes there are times when certain packages in the repos have dependency problems, and in such cases, I chose to have adept not notify me of changes.....and then forgot, when the pkg conflict passed, how to restart auto notification... ( which is 'adept_notifier' giving you the choice to restart auto notify...

Install syanptic, which has more features and can help you isolate and remove broken packages, and has been proven, tested and used a lot longer.......i only use adept when i want to be reminded of new updates. If that starts getting wonky, I leave it off till problems in the repo settle down.

Remember, ubuntu is relying on an unstable debian snapshot so this happens on occasion, tho it provides a much more up to date system than something based on debian stable....eg kde 3.5 instead of sarges 3.3 on this dapper box.....

cheers

Comment

Always good to learn - thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X