X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank Screen

Hello everybody!

I am brand new to the Linux world and I am trying to run Kubuntu for the very first time.

I have an IBM 300 PL pc with a 733 MHz P lll processor and 128 Megs of RAM. I have an 11 GB drive (hd0) and a 200 GB drive (hd1). I am using an XFX mx400 invidia based video card.

My installation appears to go OK with one exception. After the install the OS tries to reboot. The Kubuntu logo and a progress bar appear on the screen. About half way through the boot process the screen goes blank. The hard drive light keeps flashing to indicate activity but the screen remains blank.

I have gotten the same result with ver. 6.10 and 6.06. I downloaded a recent recent version of knoppix to look an my configuration files, but i do not what to look for. Incidentally, when the screen saver in knoppix kicks in I cannot restore my desktop. The screen goes blank and remains so.

I think I may have a video setting wrong but the the video card was installed automatically by the Kubuntu installer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Shoofly

Re: Blank Screen

128Mb of RAM is on the low side. The recommended requirement is 256Mb. Can you get more RAM? I have found ebay a useful source of used memory. 128 Mb would be better suited to an Xfce distro - something like Xubuntu, Zenwalk, Dreamlinux or Sam Linux.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I downloaded the low memory distribution just because of that problem. I may have to upgrade my RAM anyway. The next question is, who wants to invest money into a 700MHz pc?

Shoofly

Comment

I have the same problem when trying to start my Kubuntu..
        ive got 2048 mb of RAM so i dont think thats my problem ^^
        im running it on my intel centrino core 2 duo 2,0ghz (laptop)

Comment

Thanks for the comment.

I hope my problem is something other than not enough RAM.

Shoofly

Comment

I haven't try this on kubuntu, but on other distro, when using the low mem. installation altanative, it usually tells you to configure x, display device or something relate to that. So try to run the installation again and hopefully you can configure the settings to fit your hardware.

P.S. I'm a newbie too, all this just about my experience. So if there is any wrong information, please correct me.

Comment

Working...
            X