X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set up network

Hi

I have Kubuntu Breezy on one PC, and Win98 on another. Both connect to the net via an ADSL router. How can I set things up so that the Linux box can access data files on the Win box, and vice versa (though this isn't so important)? I've looked at http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kf1.html#samba but don't understand it.

What do I have to do on the Win box as well?

Any help and hints appreciated, cheers.

ADDED: I can successfully ping around the network, ie the Win box from Linux and the Linux box from Win, so the basic connection is OK

Re: Set up network

Setup a shared drive on your windows machine.

Open konqueror and type smb:/ as the url. From there you should be able to browse to your shared drive.

You can also open konqueror and put settings:/Network/ as the url to get to the network configuration tools.

Comment

Thanks DarkSavant, just what I needed. Easy when you know how!
      Cheers
      darkstar

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkSavant
        Setup a shared drive on your windows machine.

Open konqueror and type smb:/ as the url. From there you should be able to browse to your shared drive.

You can also open konqueror and put settings:/Network/ as the url to get to the network configuration tools.
        I have questions now. I have XP, and a D Link DI604 (ethernet) router.

1. How do I set up the shared folder, like what folder should it be. I'd like it to be the Shared Documents folder (C:\Documents and Setting\All Users\Documents)?

2. Can I also set up a shared folder (like /home/myusername/shared/) from Windows to Linux? Is there a default folder it should be, or is any fine?

3. Do I need to forward ports or do anything with the router?
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Nirvana, have you looked at http://kubuntu101.blogspot.com/2005/...ing-samba.html
          ??
          It worked for me...
          I would like some advice now on sharing a printer (USB) attached to the Linux box. Can I get to it from a Windows box?
          Cheers

Comment

Okay, I followed that guide, and in smb:// I can see the windows box, but it won't let me it. How do I enable acess to my windows box?

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
              Okay, I followed that guide, and in smb:// I can see the windows box, but it won't let me it. How do I enable acess to my windows box?
              Do you have any shared folders on your Windows box? IIRC, you can share a folder by right clicking on it and selecting the Share menu item.

Comment

yes, Shared Documents is shared. It is called SharedDocs on the network

Comment

Working...
                X