This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return to Login Screen

Alright I'm not a total newbie, I've got a somewhat decent grasp of Linux but need some help.

Problem

I installed Kubuntu 6.06.1 onto my machine. I have a 80GB Windows Drive (NTFS) (/dev/sda) and a 250GB Drive for Linux (/dev/sdb) partitioned as such in a dual booting configuration.

/ - 80GB
    /home - 80GB
    /swap - 2GB (I have 1GB RAM)
    /media/sda1 - 80GB (Windows Drive, separate for gaming mostly)
    /media/sdb4 - 70-80GB (FAT32 Partition, for moving files between Linux and Windows)

The problem that I have is that it boots into the highest resolution possible (1240x1024@60Hz) when I want it to use a lower resolution but higher refresh rate (1024x768@85Hz) (This is because 60Hz refresh rate on CRT gives me a headache). Well when I set this up it goes on about testing the new screen settings but nothing changes. When I reboot the system it is impossible to login with the account that was made. I was able to log in with a second account I made where I did not alter any display settings though.

Is there any way I can force this machine to use a lower resoultion?

Additional Information

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    RAM: 1GB RAM
    MOBO: ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    Monitor: Viewsonic PerfectFlat A70f
    HD1: 80GB (Windows)
    HD2: 250GB (Linux, Partitioned)

Running: Kubuntu 6.06.1 i386 Version (due to the problems with getting videos and such working in 64-bit version and driver problems).

I'm pretty sure it is something ridiculously simple that I simply cant see until it is pointed out to me.

Re: Return to Login Screen

i've experienced a similar problem. i believe it is with ksplash or kdm. i've tried several things that others have recommended. its as if kdm/ksplash ignores some settings and automatically uses the highest resolution/refresh rate. there is no solution afaik.

this occurs on boot and reboot. but if i log out of kde it is fine. (same resolution/refresh rate as desktop).
    <br />

Comment

Same problem. After changing resolution (and not working), I was sent to the login screen, but when I login I'm sent again to the login screen. Now I cannot enter the desktop. Is there any way to fix it? Thanks

Comment

Ok. we have a nice mixed thread. I'll try to keep it organised.

Tuoqui

Knowing which video card are you using could be helpful as this is no normal behaviour.

You can try to configure your screen via command line. Just hit CTRL+ALT+F1 on the login screen to go to a text console. Login there and type the following command:

Code:
        $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        If you still don't have luck, please look at the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log and check for any errors. Post then back here.

frandac

It could be the same problem or it could be a complete different one .

Trying the above suggestion is not going to hurt anyway. Specially the one about giving us more information.

You can check a file content from the comman line with the following command:

Code:
        $ vi /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        Javier.

Comment

Working...
        X