This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu on Dell Dimension E521 - Athlon AMD64 X2

This is not a question -- just my experience with installing kubuntu on an E521.

I just bought a Dell Dimension E521 - AMD64 Athlon X2 and decided to install kubuntu on it. To make a very long story short, I had to use the "noapic" option on the kubuntu install menu (press F6 and type in "noapic" on the kernel command line) to even get the installer to run. Without the noapic, the install would hang in different places which frustrated the bejeebers out of me.

I also used the AMD64 alternate install to do a character based installation, the gui installer hung (hard) even with the "noapic" option. Using the alternate install with the "noapic" installed flawlessly (although I still can't figure out how the installer recognized my wifi card and the installed system didn't -- I had to install madwifi myself).

How did I discover the "noapic" was the solution? Over the course of 30 minutes I fed various kernel parameters to the installer until I found the one that made a difference. I guess my next project is to figure out why the APIC was such a problem.

Hope this helps someone.
Working...
X