X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to linux, install problems

Hello,

This is the first time I have tried to install linux. I have used it to some extent in labs at my uni but have never tried to run it at home.

The laptop I am working on is here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220118
    graphics card:
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1700

I downloaded the kubuntu 6.10 DVD iso from the website and burned it to disk. When I loaded it it asked if I wanted to install/boot from liveCD. I tried this and it started loading (like it has done on other computers when I just want to run off the liveCD (with same disc)). Then it hangs.. and after about 10 minutes I shut it down and tried it again, with the same results.
    Then I decided to try a different install choice from the CDs boot menu. It was the OEM install. I was able to get through all the menus and install it from there. Then I reboot hoping that everything worked out.
    When it boots I get the standard load screen with the little scroll bar and then everything stops and soon after a screen comes up that looks like nothing I've seen before, after playing around a bit I figured out it was a warped image of the login screen (it was at a 45 deg angle and wraped around the screen periodically about 10 times). I was able to login just using the keyboard and guessing. After loging in the screen stayed warped so I restart again.

Now I boot up in recovery mode and try to update my graphics drivers only to find out that my ethernet card is not recognized and I cannot connect to the internet via wired or wireless.

I was wondering if there was a way to fix either or both of these problems?

Thank you for reading this far. I would really like to get linux to work.

Here is my output from lspci

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 71d5
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Unknown device 8168 (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
    06:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0832
    06:01.1 Class 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
    06:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0843 (rev 01)
    06:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 0a)

the rest is cut off and I have no way to copy and paste from the comp (no ethernet = no ssh).

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Re: New to linux, install problems

Wow, Pretty nice laptop and not a very good start to linux. I am a noobie too but I can give you some basic advice that people gave me when I started. First, when you burn the iso image make sure you burn it at a really slow speed. For some reason this is a cause to a lot of problems. Since you already have it, one of the options on the cd is to check the cd for errors.

One more piece of advice is to use the alternative cd. It seems that some ati cards are tough to set up in linux. Mine was one and I never got it running well with 6.10. IT worked ok with 6.06 though. 7.04 release is right around the corner though. One way to install them after you get your basic system up is envy. Google is your friend. I bit the bullet last week and got that 7.04 herd 5 and it has been really good except for a few small problems. Adept seems to have problems on the initial update. You can do updates through konsole so it isn't that bad.

In any case, welcome to kubuntu. Do a search through the forums and you will most likely find the answers to anything since you have a new laptop.

Comment

Ive tried the dvd on other computers and it seems to work fine. Is there a way to just upgrade from 6.10 to 7.04? Or do I need to download the entire DVD again? And once I have it can I just upgrade or do I need to reinstall/reformat again?

Thanks.

Comment

7.04 is still in beta so 6.10 might be the best to stay with until april when the final release is out. Just because I had trouble doesn't mean you will. Instead of trying the oem install try the text install. IT is another way to use that dvd to install it.

The alternate install cd is the best for some machines. I was too busy at work today to check the forums. Try the dvd text install and I will check back tomorrow

Comment

Working...
        X