This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help with Grub boot loader.

Hello, I am new to Linux and I am a little confused about the grub boot loader, I have a few questions to ask about it,
    When I install Kubuntu will it install the bootloader with windows xp automatically? So when i boot up my computer I can choose between Kubuntu or Linux
    If it does not how would I go about putting it in the Grub boot loader?

Thanks for any input on this I greatly appreciate it!

Re: Need some help with Grub boot loader.

Yes, any k/ubuntu install will recognize a preexisting windows install on the box and offer it as a grub menu choice.....which seems to be the case with most linux distros using grub these days.

Comment

I've got another question: how can I change the order in which OSs are ranked? I used to have SuSE, where this could be configured from YaST, but I haven't found a similar option in Kubuntu...

Thanks for your answers!

Comment

The only way that I know is editing menu.lst.

It's a file on /boot/grub. Right click on it and select "Edit as root".

But be careful, any kernel update will modify that file.

Javier.

Comment

Originally posted by javierrivera
          (...) any kernel update will modify that file.
          What does this mean?

Comment

This means that when Ubuntu pushes a kernel update the boot order will be restored to the default.

The kernel is the inner part of an Operating System, it's not updated often between releases, but sometimes bugs are found in it that need to be repaired. When this happens you will see a notice in the updater near the clock. If you install that update, the menu.lst will be redone and you will loose your changes.

I'm not very sure that I'm able to explain it very well but at least I try .

Javier.

Comment

You just made me understand what a kernel is. I can't seem to do anything Linux-y without being hit around the ears with the term. But now I finally know what all the fuss is about!

Comment

Working...
              X