Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird error message from Kate running under sudo - this after all fixes!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird error message from Kate running under sudo - this after all fixes!

Hi guys

after installing kde-desktop on ubuntu I decided to switch for now to kubuntu. I did a fresh install and I got some serious problems with Kate running as sudo. The bug was saying something like

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
    Major opcode: 148
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
    Major opcode: 148
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device

That was fixed by commenting out some wacom related lines in xorg.config and typing
    xhost local:
    at the terminal

Now the softwares work as sudo but when I launch them with sudo from the terminal I get this disturbing message

Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
    Link points to "/tmp/kde-root"
    kbuildsycoca running...
    kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
    Invalid entry (missing '=') at /tmp/kde-root/kconf_updateGGreGa.tmp:1
    KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/2
    Launched ok, pid = 4995
    QObject::disconnect: Unexpected null parameter
    QFile:pen: No file name specified

I have the feeling this message shouldn't be there to start with. Kate infact takes quite a while to start with sudo.
    If I use kdesu instead of sudo I don't get any error messages. But still I would prefer sudo to work properly since this is a fresh install.

Any ideas guys. To whom will answer I can unveil the secret of proper pasta cooking (traditional italian style)

Cippa

Re: Weird error message from Kate running under sudo - this after all fixes!

kdesu is the 'graphical' front-end that is designed specifically for use with gui apps, and is the preferred and recommended way to run apps such as kate with admin privileges. the messages you are seeing are more informational and aren't really errors (kate is working properly , am I correct?) and can safely be ignored, as far as I can see, though I do not get those messages myself, but I am using Feisty.

Comment

Dear Claydoh

well I removed ksycoca and ksycocastamp from /var/tmp/kdecache-root/ as suggested in this link http://www.void.gr/kargig/blog/2005/...error-solving/
      That removed the messages about ksycoca, for now.
      The problem is that I still see

QObject::disconnect: Unexpected null parameter
      QFile:pen: No file name specified

when I close Kate even when using kdesu. mmmm....

I really would like to have a pristine kubuntu install.... if possible

Comment

I am unsure of what you mean by 'pristine', really. Those messages you get are informational, not errors or serious bugs, but I am not sure if they can be completely turned off.

But I did find this on kde's bug tracker:
        http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=138250
        Listed as minor, but you can add your comments or vote for it.

Comment

Yeah, I second claydoh's response. Just rest easy and ignore the error messages, as long as the application appears to be working of course. I have found that if you run most *any* kde application from the command line, a ton of messages (some that are scary sounding but harmless) are generated. This is a case where ignorance truly is bliss!

Comment

Thanks guys... it seems that, coming from windows, I tend to have a phobia for messages I do not understand :-)

Comment

Working...
            X