X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally new - and "Conversation with su failed"

HI -

COMPLETELY new to Linux (and not so high-tech - even with windows - just regular user). Installed 6.10 and was doing ok installing applications - but then started getting "Conversation with su failed" every time I try to put in the password... Tried to understand the post on this... but so new to this that even that language was way beyond me...

So sorry - just one of those regular people trying to see if linux will work for us low-tech folks..

Can any give some advice in super-basic language?

Thanks SO much -

Re: Totally new - and "Conversation with su failed"

The official answer: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo (?)

Comment

Thanks so much for your time - That site has great information on what sudo is.... but I didn't quite understand how to use any of that to solve the problem...

(Once again - I'm sorry - it's just that I'm soo clueless in all of this).

I restarted the computer and it doesn't seem to be doing it now, though.. Thanks anyway -

Comment

What exactly are you attempting

Comment

I was actually just trying to open adept -- But I think it's OK now (since restarting it's accepting the password) - Thanks anyway!

Comment

Just a guess here , but the only time I see that warning is when I change my clock time. If my clock is off, (on a dual boot) or daylight savings time has me changing my clock time by hand.......it throws off the timestamp that sudo uses, and says the time is too far in the future......which generally gives me 'conversstion with sudo failed' warning popups.If that is the case, its usually a matter of 'killing the time stamp' with the sudo -K command and a reboot.....if that sounds familiar, check the docs for changing time/disables sudo / or the like and you'll see a lot of info on that fix.....

did you change your system clock on kubuntu recently?

Im pretty sure its documented on this forum as well.

enjoy

Comment

Maybe you should see this:
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=116514

Comment

I have the time issue with su on Feisty as well.
                It only concerns kdesu but not sudo commands in the konsole.
                It appeared after I had to change the time manually with RMB-click on Time ->"Adjust Date & Time" directly after the fresh install.
                After the change i "Applied" the changes and then wanted to connect to the ntp server which failed (think our ignorant "rechenzentrum" blocks it) and the window was automatically closed (is that expected?)
                After that, I only wanted to check again, if the ntp is automatically deactivated, but from that point in time all kdesu trials fail.

The reason why all this occurs, I think, is because Feisty has not anymore the initial time shifter widget in the installer, Kubuntu had on the Edgy installer. This helped to avoid this wrong time settings which are automatically assumed after picking the time-zone. (I am picking Berlin, Europe, but have main language English, is that a problem )

By the way, this time issue also creates another nasty thing for the Feisty installation:
                At the first reboot after install, the time stamps of the partitions are in the future, so that some program is called to fix that.
                Strangely, even after the lines saying "Fixed" this, then still fsck check is started, b/c my harddrive has been mounted 89000 times without being checked, a reminiscence of the time stamp in the future, I hope!
                And after that, b/c it concerns the root partition, Feisty wants to reboot. After that reboot, of course the same happens with my home partition, at least without another reboot. I know this is nothing that bad, but surely not something you want to show to a first time Linuxer!

So all in all, I think the time corrector widget should really have stayed in the Feisty installer, or the automatic time setting should just ask the current time and not try to be clever.
                HTH,
                maye

Comment

Working...
                X