This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click OK to mess up a 90% working system OK/Cancel

Well you can guess which one I clicked. Got up this morning and decided to fix the problems with printing and sound before breakfast or coffee. No I don't know why

I now have a system with no "startup menu" and no apparent way (or knowledge) to get back to my 90% working system. I used Adept to remove some packages (cups) but when I saw it was removing adept I hit than cancel button pretty damn fast.

My system at the moment has the normal graphical KDE desktop and task bar but with no task menu. As you can see I still have a web browser. Any suggestions as to how I get back to where I was ? I've managed to find Krusader so I know that most of my files on the Linux partition are still there. I suspect the first thing is to get adept back.

Re: Click OK to mess up a 90% working system OK/Cancel

Code:
    [Alt][F2] konsole
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install kubuntu-desktop
    (- to be issued at your own risk; without guarantees)

Comment

Re: Click OK to mess up a 90% working system OK/Cancel

"Could not run the specified command".

I'm a bit loathe to do a complete re-install as having had a poke around I seem to have all my files. One app reported that there was no configuration file which suggests that I've managed to delete them . As I've lost the trashcan icon I can't see if they're in there.

I know there's a rescue switch for installation but wasn't sure how to do it and if it worked from a livecd install.

General question - if I do an "overwite" re-install (rather than format and install) is it likely to work or just break it even more ?

Comment

Working...
      X