This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mimic Windows

I previously had Dapper set to mimic Windows, but I just updated to Edgy, and a wizard gave me several options for the system to act like various OS's, and I selected KDE. I, however, definitely regret this decision, and would like to go back to the XP layout (keyboard shortcuts, etc). Is there a way to get back into this wizard?

Re: Mimic Windows

[Alt][F2] kpersonalizer

Comment

Help ! Alt F2 - kpersonalizer does not work in Fiesty Fawn.
      'could not run the specified command'

a fresh install of fiesty will not pop up the kde wizard for selecting Windows, Mac or KDE appearance and actions, so i am stuck with KDE settings.

The Feisty Kubuntu PC I have set up is for a windows user crossing over to Kubuntu and it is very important to make the transition as easy as possible.

The ability for KDE to mimic windows usage, double click, and the minimise,maximize and close buttons to look like windows buttons
      i.e. not all squashed up in the corner, is important.

I notice nearly all screenshots show Kubuntu with windows themed buttons and not default KDE like I am stuck with.

This is trivial but it is so annoying when you don't know how to fix it.

control centre is confusing, all i want to do is to get to the wizard that used to pop up at the end of an install, that lets you choose the way you work.

**IMPORTANT UPDATE**

I have found out that Kbase package is not installed from disc, so use adept or apt-get to install the kbase package and then kpersonalizer will work and make kde so easy for windows refugees to come into the light...

(Kpersonaliser in in the kbase package - so will not run if kbase is not installed)

Comment

Help ! Alt F2 - kpersonalizer does not work in Fiesty Fawn.
        'could not run the specified command'
        => kpersonalizer
        installation personalizer for KDE
        KDE Personalizer is the application that configures the KDE desktop for you.
        It's a very useful wizard that allows you to quickly change the KDE desktop to
        suit your own needs. When you run KDE for the first time, KPersonalizer is
        automatically started. KPersonalizer can also be called later.

This package is part of KDE, and a component of the KDE base module.
        See the 'kde' and 'kdebase' packages for more information.
        => kdebase
        This metapackage includes the nucleus of KDE, namely the minimal package
        set necessary to run KDE as a desktop environment. This includes the
        window manager, taskbar, control center, a text editor, file manager,
        web browser, X terminal emulator, and many other programs and components.
        => Install kdebase
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanx Rog

you were more concise than me!

I found the same info too.

These forums rock!

Comment

er.. actually all you need is to install the kpersonalizer package, no need to install the kdebase metapackage at all. It has it's own package:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/kde/kpersonalizer

The reason it does not run at first is because kpersonalizer is not installed in the first place.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
            X