This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Kubuntu wont go GUI

i dunno what I did, but kubuntu boots into text mode, and I can't get it into GUI. I typed sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart but it wont boot. What did I do? And how do I fix it?
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: Help! Kubuntu wont go GUI

Read this:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/nox
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

this is what saved me
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
      After running that "wizard" I was able to reboot into GUI then reset my xorg.conf file. I need to make a back up of that file. I have no Idea what I did or what happend, but that did save me.

THANKS !

Comment

I did it again. This time it wasn't soo scary cause I knew what to do to get it back. I do think I've traced down the cause. K->system Settings->Monitor&Display then click the administrator button on the bottom, it crashes the GUI and I gotta replace my xorg.conf with a back up. Problem is, that under the power savings tab, the monitor is set to turn off after 5 hours. Being a laptop I need something more like 30 minutes. But I can't change it without crashing my GUI.

Any Advice?

Comment

Im a linux newb, but I think that yu could possibly manually edit xorg.conf in

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

dont forget to back it up =)

Search around and fiddle inside and there could be a variable in there which holds the monitor off time.

Comment

It's not in the xorg.conf.

Have you tried to run the "non-kubuntu" kcontrol?

Just type on the console:
            Code:
            $ kdesu kcontrol
            And see if you can change it there.

Javier.

Comment

Output of above command
              ant2ne@ant2ne-laptop:~$ kdesu kcontrol
              X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 157
              Major opcode: 145
              Minor opcode: 3
              Resource id: 0x0
              Failed to open device
              Failed to open device
              Failed to open device
              Failed to open device
              ant2ne@ant2ne-laptop:~$
              What is all that mess. should I have all those failures? What is failing? what are all these invalid or uninitilized input devices?

Having said that... I can't find power saving settings in the Kcontrol. I seem Monitor in the Periferals heading. But in the Monitor I see screen saver, but nothing about shutting off the monitor or shutting down disks or any other thing like that.

=(

Comment

Originally posted by Ant2ne
                What is all that mess. should I have all those failures? What is failing? what are all these invalid or uninitilized input devices?
                Everything is OK. To make Ubuntu easier to use, the developers choose to automatically add tablet devices to the Xorg. Tablet devices are use to control drawing tablets and tabet pc screentouchs.

The good point of this approach is that most tablet devices will just work. The bad one is that every time that a program starts in tries to initializa those devices even if they don't exists.

If you like to fidle you can remove Watcom related entries from the xorg to remove those messages.

Having said that... I can't find power saving settings in the Kcontrol. I seem Monitor in the Periferals heading. But in the Monitor I see screen saver, but nothing about shutting off the monitor or shutting down disks or any other thing like that.
                At least shutting down the monitor is there :

Well, as I have a Spanish Kubuntu version I don't know if I will be able to guide you, but let's try. Please bear in mind that the real names of the items can change in the real english version:

Shutdown monitor:
                Left panel: Periphericals -> Screen and Monitor Righ panel : Energy Management tab

Javier.

Comment

Working...
                X