Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monitor Out of Frequency with Intel Fix!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor Out of Frequency with Intel Fix!

Hi all,
    I have now installed Kubuntu twice due to various problems but I re-installed today and was trying to fix the issue with the Intel 915G graphics display whereby it will only show resolutions up to 1024x768 when I really need 1280x1024.
    I installed 915resolution and followed an instruction to amend the xorg.conf document to contain reference to the new resolution, but now after reboot, I cant get in at all. The machine shows the boot screen and then goes blank and my monitor throws a message saying "out of frequency"!!
    Im totally new and have been trying to stick with it, but this problem with the graphics resolution has nearly beaten me!
    So two things really, how can I start in safe mode to get my backed up xorg.conf doc back into play and then thesecondly, how do I sort out this graphics issue? I have tried a number of fixes and nothing seems to work , so if someone could step by step from clean install for newbie it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Re: Monitor Out of Frequency with Intel Fix!

2 hours, no help -- OK, I'll try to point you a little.

First, if you happened to make a backup of the xorg.conf that was working at 1024x768, the easiest way to get back a desktop would be to restore that one. With no GUI, you will need to choose the "restore" boot option, then choose "safe graphics" mode, or else Ctrl-Alt-F1 upon completion of boot, to get your console open.

If it happens that you didn't make a backup of the xorg.conf file that was working at 1024x768, then (a) shame on you, and (b) enter "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", and give it password when prompted, and you can use the xserver-xorg script to choose a VESA display mode. Go ahead and try your 1280x1024 resolution for your monitor -- it should accept that, and a refresh rate that you can stand (I'm assuming your monitor will support these). Once you've finished the script, exit the console and give it Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the X server. This should get you back to a GUI desktop, and you can resume your search for the correct driver and installation procedure for your video chip.

HTH a bit

Comment

Re: Monitor Out of Frequency with Intel Fix!

Thanks for the help dibl, Ive now after a lot of gnashing of teeth and disk check / repairs got back to a working desktop, I has backed up the conf file so all was good.
      Im still struggling with the driver / resolution issue though, The system manager shows it has detected my card as Intel 915G but its using the i810 driver. There is no other driver in the list, but some people have reported using that driver and able to expand their resolutions without problems, so Im confused, as to what stepos I should be taking. Ive installed 915resolution but still cant see any new driver available..

Comment

Working...
      X