This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netbooting server

First of all, this might not be the appropriate subboard or even webpage to ask, but I am merely starting my quest, so please forgive me .

I have the following situation: recently, I acquired a HP9000 712/80 workstation. A very nice thing, I guess, but it lacks an OS. Well, it does have HP-UX installed, but I don't have the root (or any other) pass, so that's pretty useless (and NO I didn't steal it :P). Searching around on the net, it seems I only have two choices for Linux on hppa (I'm ignoring BSD et al, the situation remains the same anyway): Debian and Gentoo. I have experience with Gentoo, so naturally I try to avoid it . Leaves me with Debian.

Now, how to install it? The 712 does not have a CD drive. Debian nor the HP box support floppy boot AFAIK. I can't access a current OS on it. So, netboot seems the only possibility. What do I need for it... Ah, a DHCP and TFTP server. Now... My PC dualboots in Kubuntu (and WinXP, not relevant), so here is, globally, my question: can I make Kubuntu do this, and how?

I know a fair bit about Linux and the command line, so no problem there. But I know *nothing* about network administration. I quickly ran into trouble trying to do it all - subnets, DNS, NAT, interfaces, ... ARGH. I understand a bit about it, but I don't have all the knowledge required, it seems.

A couple of things that might be important, but to be fair, I don't know for sure. The Kubuntu box has a wireless adapter I use to get online. It works fine under Kubuntu (a miracle of itself) with interface eth1. There's also a standard Ethernet port, which I suppose is eth0. The box connects wirelessly to an access point/router thingy, and that one connects to my modem and so to the Internet. The 712 has a standard Ethernet port (well, it looks that way), and I suppose it knows how to boot from LAN (it has a LAN boot option anyway).

So, what do I connect with what? What do I configure where and how? And what does it all do? I hope someone can point me in the right direction... Thanks a lot!

Re: Netbooting server

I'm not sure how to help you as I don't really understand what exactly your question is in regards what you are trying to do. But AFAICT it would be a whole lot easier if you purchased a CD-ROM from your local computer shop. Total cost $25

Thats what I would do at least unless this is something you are going to be doing on a regular basis to a lot of machines.
    I know this is not giving you any specific help on your quest but it might give you the idea of "yeah that's true"

Comment

Here are a lot of the specs (sorry if you already have it):

http://www.openpa.net/systems/712.html

It has a SCSI bus and external connector. If you can reset the BIOS boot device to an external SCSI device, and put your hands on a SCSI CD ROM drive, then you can begin to imagine a way to boot a live CD.

I'm glad it's your time and not mine, however ... :P

Comment

Booting from an external CD drive should be no trouble, but the "acquire drive" part might be troublesome. AFAIK, they don't have SCSI CD drives anymore around these parts. I'll take a look around, though.

As for my original query, I actually just want a *very easy* explanation of how to set up DHCP (TFTP, the other required part, doesn't seem that hard), and what it actually does. Though, I'm reading up now, and with a little help of a friend of mine who studied ICT stuff I might be able to wrap my head around it.

And yeah, this is basically wasting my time to play around a bit with a RISC architecture. Pretty low priority, nothing life-critical going on .

Thanks for your attention .

[EDIT] For anyone stumbling upon this, I got it partially working eventually. Tip: disable the DHCP server of your router and disconnect it from the internet if you want it to act as a hub. Turned out most of my settings were correct, but I just needed to do that. Netbooting now seems to work, the boot image is send over LAN no problem, but it doesn't boot... Could simply be a wrong download. Nothing that should be solved on this forum .

Comment

Working...
        X