This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor not picking up output

I've attempted to install Kubuntu on an old HP machine. It installed successfully, but when booting, it starts to load and then my monitor loses the signal.

I've tried it with two monitors, but to no success. It's quite an old PC, any chance of Kubuntu not having the drivers for the graphics card? Sometimes this will happen when I install XP, and I'll have to boot in safe mode, anyway of doing this in Kubuntu?

This is my first attempt at installing Kubuntu, so I don't really have a clue to go about solving this. Any help would be most appreciated.

Re: Monitor not picking up output

"I've attempted to install Kubuntu on an old HP machine" Do you know what model? Do you know how much RAM you have?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Sorry, its a Vectra vei8 DT. 128MB RAM, Pentium II 400MHz.

Comment

Your specifications are very low. The recommended hardware requirements for Kubuntu is 256Mb of RAM. 128Mb is the amount used by Xubuntu which is Xfce rather than KDE or Gnome. Have a look at "Installation/LowMemorySystems" at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...wMemorySystems
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

The specs are a little low, but I removed the PCI graphics card, and switched to the onboard graphics and everything works fine now. Thanks anyway for your help.

It works really well, I'm amazed by the performance from such a low spec machine. Now I can get it set up as a dedicated file/print server

Comment

Working...
          X