This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how hard it it, connecting internet via modem

I have broadband and therefore my connecting up to the internet was easy, but my friend's computer running XP is down so I am thinking of installing kubuntu as dual boot, leavng her broken XP for someone else(it needs the XP repair cd and I get the feeling that....), so my questions are:
    - once I have installed kubuntu to the spare space in hard drive, will it be easy to hook up the internet
    - how will I go about finding drivers
    - can I retrieve stuff that is in the windows sytem when running kubuntu
    every day is a gift

Re: how hard it it, connecting internet via modem

Originally posted by fleamailman
    - once I have installed kubuntu to the spare space in hard drive, will it be easy to hook up the internet [via modem]
    - how will I go about finding drivers
    Probably very difficult. Most "modems" that sell with PCs these days (those that still have them) aren't proper modems but instead rely on Windows to do the work of actually turning computer signals into sound and back, being just a physical interface. Most of these so-called "winmodems" don't have drivers for Linux as the manufacturers do not release them, or the information needed to create them. By far the best place to look for information is http://linmodems.org/.

- can I retrieve stuff that is in the windows sytem when running kubuntu
    Yes, easily - as far as I know the installer will automatically see Windows' drive and make it available, and even if it doesn't it's a two-liner to do so.

Comment

Working...
    X