Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to connect to secured wireless networks?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to connect to secured wireless networks?

Hi,

I am running Kubuntu 6.06 on my laptop. I can connect to wireless networks which don't have a key but secure wireless networks are just proving impossible to connect to (i know the pass phrase).

I t shows WEP mode where I can choose either Open system or Shared key. I tried both but they didn't seem to show any difference.

When entering the key, for example 'potter', it shows exactly 'potter' on the space instead of '******'. That makes me skeptical on whether I'm putting the pass phrase in the right space.

Hope somebody can help here. Thank you.

Re: How to connect to secured wireless networks?

Originally posted by pokabo
    Hi,

I am running Kubuntu 6.06 on my laptop. I can connect to wireless networks which don't have a key but secure wireless networks are just proving impossible to connect to (i know the pass phrase).

I t shows WEP mode where I can choose either Open system or Shared key. I tried both but they didn't seem to show any difference.

When entering the key, for example 'potter', it shows exactly 'potter' on the space instead of '******'. That makes me skeptical on whether I'm putting the pass phrase in the right space.

Hope somebody can help here. Thank you.
    Are you sure your wireless in in WEP mode, maybe you have a WPA mode and need more choices. I found Knetworkmanager to work well for access to my home wireless network afer i made it secure. You can download it through Synaptic or Adept i think.

Comment

Here is what I'm facing shown in sequence:

1)Run as root KDE

please enter your password

command:wlassistant
      pasword:******

OK

2)Wireless asisstant 0.5.5
      ESSID Channel Link Quality WEP? AP
      yemibi 6 5 yellow stars a lock symbol 00:13:46F1:AC4

i click on the whole record.

3}Firsc connection wizard

i click next.

then it says 'Your IP and other parameters need to be configured to connect to any network.
      which configuration would you like to use when connecting to this network?

( ) automatic(DHCP)
      ( )Manual

i choose automatic.

4)The network you are trying to connect to require WEP authentication. Which WEP mode would you like to choose?

( ) Open system
      ( ) Shared key

I choose open system.

Please provide a key to be used with the network.
      Any format supported by iwconfig can be used.

WEP key [ ] ASCII

I just wrote the password in the box and click next.(not sure whether i should be writing something else in it)

5)Wireless asisstant 0.5.5
      ESSID Channel Link Quality WEP? AP
      yemibi 6 5 yellow stars a lock symbol 00:13:46F1:AC4

connecting....

6) Connection failed.

7)I'm writing here. Hoping someone could understand me and hep. Thank you.

Comment

Have you logged into your router to check what is listed there for info. I would re enter your password there too to double check if the configuration of your router matches the input of what you are entering. I know I had one program that gave similar options to what you recorded but it was not consistent with what I needed to gain access. Once i tried a differrent wireless connection program it then connected easily.

Do you see your network when you ask it to screen for available networks? Once it sees you network, then getting access is usually just a matter of getting the right configuration settings. For me this was mainly just repeated trials till I found what worked. Maybe someone else here with more skill in troubleshooting connections can give you more helpful advice. Another thing I tried initially was to hard wire the connection just to gain access and add programs that i needed. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
        X