This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

systems settings window on KDE is blank, how do I get it back

I was fooling around with systems settings--appearance windows, icons, fonts, etc. For a while I lost all icons. I started going back and hitting default buttons, and seem to have managed to get those back. But I somehow managed to make the systems settings window go blank. Other windows seem OK. Not only is the window blank, but it only has the top blue bar with its name and the icons to close, minimize, and maximize. It has no scroll bar along the side. And then, as I said, there is no nothing to the inside of the window.

I tried to reinstall the kde desktop, but I have the same problem.

Please help. I promise not to touch systems settings again!

Lamtarrah

Re: systems settings window on KDE is blank, how do I get it back

I can't tell you how to restore your system settings folder without having to do an amount of restoration work that could be substantial if you've customized your system, but I can tell you how to do everything that SystemSettings does and more.

Right click on any desktop. Click on "Run Command". Enter the line "kdesu kcontrol". Enter your password when asked. You will now see the REAL KDE settings program that the Ubuntu developers apparently believe is too complicated and dangerous for noobs to use. Be careful about what you're doing. You could even take notes. That way, we might be able to get you going again.

Comment

Re: systems settings window on KDE is blank, how do I get it back

You will now see the REAL KDE settings program that the Ubuntu developers apparently believe is too complicated and dangerous for noobs to use. Be careful about what you're doing.

Ah...
      Now I realize why kcontrol isn't documented in Kubuntu. I always use Kcontrol so much that I have the Settings applet on my kicker main panel. Didn't ever realize why it has so many more customizations that can be made over the Kubuntu System Settings, but is not well documented. Well said.

Comment

Working...
      X