This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem installing VLC

I just installed Kubuntu, and am trying to install VLC. When I run the apt-get install vlc command, i get the following:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    vlc: Depends: vlc-nox (= 0.8.6a-jb-videolan-1) but it is not going to be insta lled
    Depends: libdbus-1-2 (>= 0.60) but it is not installable
    Depends: libiso9660-4 but it is not installable
    Depends: libtar but it is not installable
    Depends: libvcdinfo0 (> 0.7.23) but it is not installable
    Depends: libvlc0 (>= 0.8.6a-jb-videolan) but it is not going to be instal led
    Depends: libwxgtk2.6-0 (>= 2.6.1.2ubuntu2) but it is not installable
    Depends: libxosd2 (>= 2.2.13) but it is not installable
    E: Broken packages

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Problem installing VLC

Sorry for the belated reply. Typically, when you get a message indicating that a whole bunch of dependencies for a particular package can't be met, it indicates either that you caught the system in the middle of an upgrade (which shouldn't be happening now unless you're trying to install Feisty) or your repository listings are somehow out of sync with the repositories. As a new user, you shouldn't even THINK about installing a Feisty alpha build. With no disrepect intended, you don't know enough to try out the Feisty preliminary builds. On the other hand, if you're trying to use either Dapper (Kubuntu 6-06, the long term support version) or Edgy (Kubuntu 6-10, the current state of the art version), there are two possibilities. Either, your /etc/apt/souces.list file is incorrect or you had the bad luck to catch the repository system right in the middle of a maintenance upgrade.

So, what to do:
    (1) If you just caught the repos in the middle of an upload, try again and you'll succeed. If you don't:
    (2) Use Konqueror to check your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file. Make sure that ALL the repository lines say something like
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy (or dapper) ...
    Also, make sure that you have the "universe" and "multiverse" repositories enabled. Remove the #signs in front of the lines that refer to "universe multiverse". You can edit /etc/apt/sources.list by right clicking on the file in Konqueror and then clicking "Actions" "edit as root". If I've gone too fast, just post your /etc/apt/sources.list file and someone here can help you edit it.

Comment

since we are on the subject..i want to install gimo on Kubuntu 6.10...am i missing something?

The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Install the following packages:
      gimp [2.2.13-1ubuntu1 (edgy, edgy)]
      gimp-data [2.2.13-1ubuntu1 (edgy, edgy)]
      gimp-svg [2.2.13-1ubuntu1 (edgy, edgy)]

Score is -100

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y
      No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
      0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
      Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
      Writing extended state information... Done

Comment

@mike: Which program gave you those messages? Personally, I don't do either Adept or Aptitude. However, I attempted to add "gimp-svg" to my gimp installation with Synaptic and I got the more informative message "Could not mark all packages for installation or upgrade gimp-svg: Depends: gimp (=2.2.13-1ubuntu1) but 2.2.13-1ubuntu3 is to be installed"

Of course, gimp 2.2.13-1Ubuntu3 was already installed, but at least Synaptic told me which package is inconsistent. You have two choices (different from those of Drenhead): (1) wait a few days. or (2) notify the folks at Malone
        url ="https://bugs.launchpad.net/gimp" of the bug in the gimp-svg package.

Comment

Working...
        X