Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i use text install off a live CD?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i use text install off a live CD?

How do i use text install off a live CD? I have version 6.06 and version 6.10.

using a laptop: thinkpad i series 1200

Re: How do i use text install off a live CD?

You need to download the Alternative Install CD to get a text based install with no graphics:

http://ftp.ticklers.org/releases.ubu...rnate-i386.iso

Thanks the link from a UK download site but if you want to download from somewhere closer to home, just go to the main Kubuntu page and go to downloads and select Alternative Install.

Hope this helps.

Comment

As an alternative, can I make a separate partition during my windows session so i would have 2 partitions. 1 with windows xp the other black, in FAT32 format, Copy the CD(copy paste) contents onto the FAT32 partition and try to boot from the FAT32 partition as if it were the live cd? it might go faster sinnce i am low ram and canot proceed in live cd.

-deleted-

edit: gdamn, acronis tanked on me. cannot install it cause no internet connection on laptop ( am at work and the laptop has no profile to connect to the network)
      any other programs i can use?

Comment

No I do not believe you can boot from a partition the same way you can boot from a CD / DVD, it just doesn't work like that. I know you can boot Kubuntu from USB if you have a 1GB memory stick for example - however I don't know how to do this.

If you're finding you aren't getting many responses on these forums try the Ubuntu forums they are much more busy (although do come back here )

Comment

hehe, i did try the Ubuntu forums AND Ubuntu itself, but I'm sold on Kubuntu. the interface is so much more "specific" and hey, blue's my favorite color soooooooooooo...

Anyways, it's working now, im using an alternate text installer of Ubuntu on the laptop, ill try the Kubuntu text installer. also i just upgraded to 256mb of ram instead of 120 and it's running WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY faster.

Comment

Working...
          X