This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I update my codec

My original post I talk about problems with Kaffeine, in that it doesn't play .wmv files, and it doesn't have sound. It was suggested that I need to update my codec. How do I do this?

I also noticed that while playing Ultima Online with wine I didn't have any sounds. I get the kubuntu system start-up and shut-down sounds, so I'm not suspecting my sound card is not supported in kubuntu. Any other advice?

Thanks
    Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Re: How do I update my codec

You need to have the w32codecs package in order to play Windows Media files (wmv/wma and real media). Download the w32codecs_20061022-0.0_i386.deb file from http://www.debian-multimedia.org/pool/main/w/w32codecs/

Once downloaded, right-click on the .deb file, select Kubuntu Package Menu -> Install Package.
    Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

In my opinion the best thing is to try KPlayer. It uses MPlayer behind the scenes, and since last October MPlayer supports WMV9 natively, so you shouldn't need any win32 codecs. KPlayer and MPlayer also do better job using the sound output in my experience.

Comment

Updated my codec and still no sound. > I get those annoying system sounds (not just beeps). Where is the troubleshooter?

I'd try this KPlayer, but I'm trying to keep my system lean. I'd have to uninstall Kaffeine player, and that might delay my sound issues.

Comment

You definitely don't need to uninstall anything to try KPlayer and MPlayer. You just need to install those two as well as a few libraries like libavcodec and libavformat which you probably already have anyway. Make sure you get the latest versions of all these packages, since MPlayer just added native WMV9 support a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant2ne
            Any other advice?
            yep, some cd players require a cable going from the cd player to the sound card. just a little wire with some small black plugs on the end.

just a thought

Comment

computer came assembled from dell, and sounds work great in windows.

Comment

Working...
              X