This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renaming Drives

I'd really prefer something other than hda1 etc coming up in the save as dialogue box when I want to save a file. How do I rename the drives or attach a description to make my life just that little easier.

TVM

Richard

Re: Renaming Drives

One way (of several possible): point Konqueror to media:/, highlight the volume in question, press [F2] and start typing ...

Comment

Personally, since the days of MS DOS 2.whatever, I've split "data" from "software" on whatever storage I had. When Billy G. came out with "My Documents" I kind of hated it (since I had my own system), but subsequently have grown accustomed to the logic of having the following places/directories/folders:

Documents
      Images
      Music
      Downloads

with of course appropriate sub-divisions within each.

So, IMHO, the wise Linux bunny makes a separate /home directory in accordance with the guidance found here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

During installation, (K)Ubuntu and other Linux distributions will automatically plop a "Richard" folder into your /home directory.

And then if you will make the same 4 folders, named as above, within /home/Richard, you'll be done.

Note that you will have escaped the drudgery of "hda3, sdb2" etc. etc.

I hope this makes your life easier!

Comment

Originally posted by Sanvista
        I'd really prefer something other than hda1 etc coming up in the save as dialogue box when I want to save a file. How do I rename the drives or attach a description to make my life just that little easier.
        Where does hda1, etc, come up in dialogue boxes?

For me it's all /home, /usr, etc. The device names don't enter into it.

Comment

Werrlll. Here's my problem. Forgive the windows terminology.

1) If I open up the "system menu" and select "storage media" the first thing I see is a window (titled media-konqueror) and a list of the media named as hda etc. If I click in the item actually called "storage media" in that tree to the left of the window I can see my drives renamed as someting I recognise

2) Now jump across to say Open Office and I want to save a file. I click on file/ save as and I get offered the usual save dialog box. If I want to save it in the linux directory structure that's fine but if I want to save to another hard disc partition - well that's when I get hda etc

I have a few partitions and I can't for the life of me remember each one every time. I know I "should" be saving into my home directory but that doesn't work for me at this stage of transition.

Hope that's clearer and thanks for the responses thus far. After this printing :-)

Comment

Working...
          X