This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob needs help dual booting xp and kubuntu

hi i want to install kubuntu and windows xp , i reinstalled windows xp for a fresh install and created 2 partitions, one for windows and one for kubuntu but i dont know how to dual booth them please help.

Re: noob needs help dual booting xp and kubuntu

You made a very good beginning!

Everything else you'll need to get started can be found here, including the very wise advice to set up THREE Linux partions, one for /, one for /home and one for /{swap} :

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

Comment

hi there thanks for the help but this is ubuntu page, i have kubuntu , is the installation process the same. thanks

Comment

There is no difference in the "guts" of the system. The difference is that Kubuntu comes with the K Desktop Environment "KDE" and its supporting files, while Ubuntu comes with the Gnome DE and its stuff. Read about the difference between Gnome and KDE here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

But the fundamental structures of the OS are identical in any given version, including everything about dual-boot configuration and file systems.

Comment

so would u recoment that i start afresh and install xp and then dont partition it and partition it throught kubuntu and that will install the grub loader when done , so i would select the first option to resize the drie at the partition part in the insatllation.

Comment

Actually, if you are happy with the size of your Windows partition, there's no need to start over. My recommendation would be to make yourself a GParted live CD, by downloading and burning the ISO file from here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

Hmm, I see the ver. 3.3.6 that I just got last week is already outdated by a new version -- LOL. Oh well ...

Then, boot your GParted CD and use it to make /, /home, and /{swap} partitions within the disk partition that you already made for Linux. Depending on how much disk size you have, you'll want 4 or more GB for /, and then set /{swap space} at twice your RAM or 1 GB, whichever is less, and then the remaining space can be /home. You won't assign the names of the partitions with GParted, but you can set their sizes and their formats (ext3 or reiserfs, as you wish).

Then boot your Kubuntu live CD and use it to install on the 3 partitions that you made with GParted. It will probably insist on doing the formatting again, but that's no problem. You can search this forum and find all kinds of posts and advice related to installing, if you have any questions or mishaps.

EDIT: If you go crazy installing Kubuntu packages, 4GB for "/" might be a little on the skinny side. I didn't know how much disk space you have when I wrote that. If you can afford 8 GB, then you won't have to think about it again any time soon.

Comment

i dont know what gparted is or what it does or how to use it, isnt there away that i can just use my existinfg partitions and just want to know how to use the windows xp partiton i have and use the kubuntu disk to create a dual boot.

1 hard disk one partition, how can i create 2 partitions and a dual boot swap drive with the kubuntu disk , thanks lol

Comment

tried doing it with the disk and i select the first option which is use the free space to install kubuntu and when i click continue it just shows the loading thing, then it unhighlites the buttons so the only one that you cn click is cancel and i thought that was what it was suppose to do but then it unhighlights the buttons and you can click continue again and the same thing happens , and i dont get to install it, please help

Comment

Working...
                X