Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW DO I INSTALL KUBUNTU 6.06 during a windows session?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW DO I INSTALL KUBUNTU 6.06 during a windows session?

is it even possible? i am using a thinkpad I series 1200 laptop and trying to install kubuntu. I tried 6.10 but it just freezes after the blue load bar. I am now trying 6.06 straight from bios CDROM booting and it loads but gives a weird error that loops over and over. i will updated with the error soon.

I just wanted to know, is there any way to LOG into windows. and isntall kubunty 6.10 or 6.06? I am at work and cannot access internet FROM THE LAPTOP, i have a flashcard limited to 7MB, so i can probly get an evaluation copy of partition magic or equivalent.
    IF POSSIBLE, please show me a link on steps to install USING TEXT ONLY, i tried it and it shows:
    BOOT:

exept i dont know what to type in after.

so i gues its kinda 3 questions:

1. installing kubuntu 6.10 or 6.06 in windows session.
    2. installing kubuntu 6.06 or 6.10 with text input.

Re: HOW DO I INSTALL KUBUNTU 6.06 during a windows session?

No, on the windows session.

Assuming you have a good CD burn, I think you might be having a video card challenge. Either 6.06 or 6.10 should work. Will the live CD boot at all? If no, you might try burning the "Alternate CD" image - either 6.06 or 6.10.

Once you can get a CD to boot correctly on the Thinkpad, we can probably get you through the video problem.

Comment

the livecds boot okay, its just they give errors when installing.

kubuntu 6.10 :freezes at the blue bar, once i click on boot or install .
      edit: kubuntu 6.10(safe graphics mode): Still freezes at the blue bar.

kubuntu 6.06: holding for error to generate....

Comment

Try "Safe Graphics" mode to do the install. If it works, more or less, then we can fix the video problem -- we need to get to a console prompt.

Comment

kubuntu 6.06 gives:

[17179890.572000] irq 15: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
          [17179890.572000] handlers:
          [17179890.572000] [<c02521a0>] (idle_intr+0x0/0x200)
          [17179890.572000] Disabling IRQ #15

and it loops every minute. over and over and over.
          othly thing that changes is the [17179890.572000] number. right now its at [17179972.792000]

I think using text mode might help me use the IRQPOLL option. exept i dont know how to proceed in text mode.

help?

Comment

Nev -- you need someone more proficient than I to deal with this one. May I suggest you make a new posting with an appropriate title, such as "ThinkPad Installation Problem -- IRQ-handling problem" or something like that, so it will be noticed. You can google that while you're awaiting better help.

Sorry ....

Comment

Thank you VERY much for your help dibl, i found what it is. someone showed me how to run the "IRQPOLL" option.

i just press F6 at the main screen, and in the line, just add IRQPOLL and enter....

Comment

Working...
              X