This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setup question

Hi, I'm completely new to linux. I just installed Kubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, dual booting with xp sp2 media edition. I have a quick question..

I was originally having problems getting Kubuntu to start properly. I searched and found adding the 'noapic nolapic' parameters at boot works. The problem is when I try to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to permanently reflect the changes I don't have the proper permissions. How do I give myself the permissions in linux?

Re: setup question

sudo lets you run as root when you enter your password at the prompt....in this case, to edit in a gui, you can run 'sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst' which will open a window and the grub boot menu page......where you can add the noapic parmameters after the kernel and root partition info, for example right after ro (read only) you can write in so it boots noapic etc......

you can also open these documents in command line, with something like sudo nano /boot/grub.......if you are comfortable editing in konsole and know how to save changes.....or the last option, navigating in gui to the /boot folder, where the menu offers you (when you get to the menu.lst) an option to edit as root

in kubuntu root is accessed via sudo ......and will prompt for your user password to perform admin tasks......

nano for command line editing
    kate or kwrite for gui text , or from the gui with the edit as root option....

cheers

Comment

Re: setup question

For root permission with gui programs I would suggest Run and kdesu to avoid errors. Just press alt-F2 and type the name of the program you want. You can also select root access for editing files and it will prompt you for a password.
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Working...
      X