This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

convert xp favorites to linux bookmarks, & vv

I put the bookmark form XP into a USB key, I reboot to linux, I double click the same bookmarks and nothing opens, what do I need to convert them into something that both systems will understand then? Am I missing something here?
    thks
    every day is a gift

Re: convert xp favorites to linux bookmarks, & vv

Is it Firefox in XP ---> Firefox in Linux?

If so, you need (in Firefox/XP) to choose "Manage Bookmarks", and then "File, Export" and export your bookmarks to an html file. Save that file on your USB thumb drive.

In Firefox/Linux, choose "Manage Bookmarks", then "Import", and browse to the html file on your USB thumb drive.

Or, if you're really lazy like me, e-mail yourself the html file from XP, then in Linux go get your e-mail message and use it to import the bookmark file.

Comment

This will also work in Konqueror if you curious. If the bookmarks are from IE, I think firefox/windows will import them then just follow the same process.
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

great ideas but not quite what I am looking for in that the idea is to be able to double click a favorite in a usb key that acts as a go between dual boot with windows xp, it serves also as a back up should the hard drive die, At the moment one has to right hand click the favorite to cut paste the url whereas if I double click it it asks me what I want to open it up with, is there something that can handle internet explorer favorites?
        every day is a gift

Comment

The simplest way to do this is to use Firefox in both Windows and Linux, then install the browser plugin "Google Browser Sync." Then you get the same bookmarks, remembered passwords, history, etc.
          note: I recommend downloading firefox from getfirefox.com and installing it yourself. I prefer to get updates directly from Mozilla.

http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/

Comment

another good idea and I will do it, thanks;
            every day is a gift

Comment

Working...
            X