Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I can't even install RealPlayer! Or my Printer for that matter!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! I can't even install RealPlayer! Or my Printer for that matter!

Evening all,

Well it's not evening, but it sounds more optimistic because more interesting things happen in the evenings... ...Anyway...

I realise that this probably makes me sound kina thick; I am a lowly windows user, unfortunately, so I've become far too used to, "click the pretty button". I really like the ethics behind Linux, and Ubuntu especially, plus Linux is a far better OS in the first place, so I'm a strong Linux advocate, I'm just pretty darn awful at using it at the moment!

I've had a look at the other posts, followed their instructions, but I still can't install downloaded programs such as WINE or RealPlayer. I really need wine so that I can install MS Outlook, so that it can support my PDA (if it were not for my PDA I'd do away with Microsoft crap all together!)

I have also been having great difficulty installing my Hp LaserJet 4+. It seems to load on, but then when I print anything, it just comes out with hundreds of pages with one line of coding on the top! It's a networked printer, so there is no computer attached to it.

If anybody would be able to help me with a "complete and utter idiots guide to installing" I would be extremely grateful!

WM

PS I ordered 600 of the free Kubuntu disks last year, anybody got any idea of how I can check where they are?

Re: Help! I can't even install RealPlayer! Or my Printer for that matter!

To install most programs: use Adept. It's a package manager and, when you enable extra repositories, gives you a choice of 20,000+ packages including Wine and RealPlayer. Just search for the name of the package you want, view the details and click the pretty "install" button... (Search the forums for how to enable extra repos)

General rule of thumb is to try and find 'native' Linux apps that can do what you want - I'm not sure what there is to sync with a (I presume) Pocket PC PDA, but my Palm syncs nicely with Kontact so it'd be worth looking into it.

Comment

To enable extra repo's, check here

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources

To install stuff, check here

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

These should help you find what you are after.
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

hey, I've tried those, but they don't seem to work! what am I doing wrong?

Comment

Try this

kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list

Copy and past the result here for us and we'll see if thats where your problem is.
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Hi, as requested...

user@Kubuntu:~$ kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
            X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
            Major opcode: 144
            Minor opcode: 3
            Resource id: 0x0
            Failed to open device
            X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
            Major opcode: 144
            Minor opcode: 3
            Resource id: 0x0
            Failed to open device
            user@Kubuntu:~$

It asked me to enter the root password too, so I entered it, but it said it was wrong, I'm sure it was correct though...

Uber idiotic style help would be greatly appriciated, I really want to sell how brilliant linux is to everybody at college & Uni, but I can't do that if I can't even use it my self!

Comment

Working...
            X